Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta cabinet ministers to attend U.S. prayer breakfast in Washington

Alberta cabinet ministers to attend U.S. prayer breakfast in Washington
The Alberta government is sending a delegation to the U.S. National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C. Affordability and Utilities Minister Nathan Neudorf, Health Minister Adriana LaGrange and Mental Health and Addiction Minister Dan Williams, along with three staff , are scheduled to attend the event next Thursday.

Alberta cabinet ministers to attend U.S. prayer breakfast in Washington

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking
The British Columbia government has approved a legal order to extend temporary protections to an old-growth forest on Vancouver Island even as the minister of forests acknowledged that the RCMP are investigating reports of tree spiking in the area. Ravi Parmar said he was informed of the reports last week, calling the news of such vandalism "incredibly alarming."

B.C. extends deferral of logging in Fairy Creek amid reports of tree spiking

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post
British Columbia's lieutenant-governor is leaving office after seven years on the job, with Premier David Eby telling her farewell ceremony that her focus on reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples was among her key contributions. Janet Austin's work during her tenure advanced reconciliation in the province, Eby told the ceremony at the legislature in Victoria on Wednesday.

B.C. Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin wraps up seven-year post

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast
Environment Canada says wintry conditions are expected along British Columbia's south coast this week. It says a low pressure system is making its way toward the coast, bringing steady precipitation starting Thursday afternoon. 

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning
During Wednesday's Senate hearing on his nomination to lead the U.S. Department of Commerce, billionaire financier Howard Lutnick said the plan to impose duties on Canada and Mexico is distinct from Trump's long-term tariff plans.

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund
With Donald Trump making "territorial claims," the new head of CBC says defunding the public broadcaster could erode a pillar of Canada's cultural identity. Marie-Philippe Bouchard, CEO of CBC-Radio-Canada, is calling for a "national conversation" on the Conservative promise to defund, and is launching a tour to get it started.

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund