Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'
U.S. President Donald Trump's press secretary says the plan to slap Canada with punishing tariffs on Saturday is still in play. Karoline Leavitt told reporters at the White House that she spoke with the president Monday night and he indicated Feb. 1 was "still on the books" for the introduction of damaging duties against Canada and Mexico.

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations
Honveer Singh Randhawa and the BC Conservative Party said it had evidence of 45 suspicious votes in the Surrey-Guildford riding where the New Democrats won by just 22 votes, giving the party a slim majority government. 

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik
One of the hit men who murdered former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik has received a mandatory life sentence, without the possibility of parole for 20 years. Tanner Fox told the BC Supreme Court hearing in New Westminster on Tuesday that he was sorry, and was "young and dumb" at the time of the hired killing.

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public
Campers can begin planning their return to Jasper National Park less than one year after a devastating wildfire. Parks Canada officials say reservations can be booked starting today for frontcountry camping and self-registration campgrounds will be available on a first-come-first-served basis.

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign
The Fraser Health authority is stepping up its vaccine campaign for the human papillomavirus, now offering it to all eligible students from Grade 6 through 12. The vaccine provides protection against the virus that is a common infection linked to several different types of cancer. 

Fraser health steps up vaccine campaign

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down
B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau says she is stepping down. Furstenau says she never aspired to be an elected official but is leaving her role as leader of the province's third party feeling a great sense of accomplishment 

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau stepping down