Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Dr. Monty Ghosh: Shaping New Pathways in Addiction and Homelessness Care  

Dr. Monty Ghosh: Shaping New Pathways in Addiction and Homelessness Care  
Another catalytic project led by Dr. Ghosh is the National Overdose Response Service (NORS), a lifeline for individuals using substances alone. What began as an idea inspired by a patient’s innovative approach to virtual support has blossomed into a nationwide initiative. The emergency line aims to provide immediate support to people and ensure that they aren't using drugs alone.  

Dr. Monty Ghosh: Shaping New Pathways in Addiction and Homelessness Care  

Canadian Armed Forces says it's on track to meet this year's recruitment goal

Canadian Armed Forces says it's on track to meet this year's recruitment goal
More Canadians have expressed an interest in joining the military since U.S. President Donald Trump took office on Jan. 20 — but the Canadian Armed Forces isn't attributing that spike to Trump and his talk of annexing Canada.

Canadian Armed Forces says it's on track to meet this year's recruitment goal

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight
Health authorities in British Columbia have confirmed a second case of measles in the Lower Mainland, this time in the Vancouver Coastal Health region. Vancouver Coastal Health says in a release that the infected person travelled to Southeast Asia in the same party as a Fraser Health region resident who tested positive earlier this month.

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province
British Columbia has launched a new $10 million fund to help tree fruit farmers facing proposed U.S. tariffs on the heels of years of devastatingly low crop yields. A statement from the Ministry of Agriculture says the money will be handed out as one-time payments to farmers and can be used to help with needs like tools, training, capital for farm improvement, farm debt repayment and farm wages.

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores
Health Canada is warning people in at least three provinces against using unauthorized sexual enhancement products that may pose serious health risks.  The agency says it has seized various products from stores in New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario that have been found to contain "dangerous ingredients."

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion
British Columbia's health minister has announced that the province is changing its safer-supply anti-addiction program to a witnessed model, in which users will be watched as they consume the drugs. Josie Osborne says the "significant" change to end the take-home model will be difficult for some, but is designed to reduce the criminal diversion of prescribed alternatives to illicit street drugs. 

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion