Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyers for alleged B.C. hijacker get more time to prepare bail application

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Aug, 2025 11:07 AM
  • Lawyers for alleged B.C. hijacker get more time to prepare bail application

The man accused of hijacking a plane and triggering a security scare at Vancouver International Airport last month appeared briefly at a provincial court in Richmond, B.C., where his lawyers were granted an adjournment.

Shaheer Cassim attended the court virtually from Surrey Pretrial Centre wearing an orange sweatsuit.

He acknowledged he could see and hear the judge, and sat with his hands on his knees throughout the short video appearance, which lasted less than five minutes.

An articling student representing Cassim's defence lawyer, Kevin Westell, asked the court for a two-week adjournment as they continue to prepare a bail application.

The agent confirmed Cassim had agreed to remain in custody until his next appearance, which the judge scheduled for Sept. 2.

Cassim is a former commercial pilot who faces charges for allegedly taking a small aircraft from Victoria's airport on July 15 and flying it over the Vancouver airport before he was arrested upon landing.

The 39-year-old has been in custody at the pretrial facility in Surrey since his arrest and his court files have been placed under publication bans. 

He's been charged with hijacking, which is an offence constituting terrorism, and with damaging or interfering with a navigation system.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals
As the Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 workers neared the end of its 25th day, the postal service warned that a speedy resolution is unlikely. In a statement Monday, Canada Post said the latest proposals from the union widen the gap between the two parties, claiming the union has in some cases increased its demands. 

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year
Premier David Eby says BC Hydro, a Crown utility, has selected the projects following a strong response to its call for new renewable power-generation operations.

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires
The federal government says B.C. saw more than 4,000 wildfires in the two years, with 223 evacuations orders and 431 alerts affecting about 192,000 residents overall.

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets
Anyone wishing to attend the upcoming provincial state memorial service for former premier John Horgan is being asked to reserve free tickets. Horgan's service will be held Sunday at the Q Centre in Colwood, west of Victoria, which has a capacity for about 4,000 people.

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago
Police say two men been have been charged in the death of 38-year-old Surrey resident Kenneth Thomas Howe in August 2021. An update from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says a 38-year-old man has now been charged with second-degree murder, while investigators found evidence indicating a 34-year-old man was involved after the death.

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation
The federal government's GST holiday would cost as much as $2.7 billion if provinces with a harmonized sales tax asked for compensation, the parliamentary budget officer said on Monday. But the decision from some provinces with an HST not to demand compensation for their portion of lost revenue lessens the cost on Ottawa significantly. 

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation