Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyers for alleged B.C. hijacker get more time to prepare bail application

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Aug, 2025 11:07 AM
  • Lawyers for alleged B.C. hijacker get more time to prepare bail application

The man accused of hijacking a plane and triggering a security scare at Vancouver International Airport last month appeared briefly at a provincial court in Richmond, B.C., where his lawyers were granted an adjournment.

Shaheer Cassim attended the court virtually from Surrey Pretrial Centre wearing an orange sweatsuit.

He acknowledged he could see and hear the judge, and sat with his hands on his knees throughout the short video appearance, which lasted less than five minutes.

An articling student representing Cassim's defence lawyer, Kevin Westell, asked the court for a two-week adjournment as they continue to prepare a bail application.

The agent confirmed Cassim had agreed to remain in custody until his next appearance, which the judge scheduled for Sept. 2.

Cassim is a former commercial pilot who faces charges for allegedly taking a small aircraft from Victoria's airport on July 15 and flying it over the Vancouver airport before he was arrested upon landing.

The 39-year-old has been in custody at the pretrial facility in Surrey since his arrest and his court files have been placed under publication bans. 

He's been charged with hijacking, which is an offence constituting terrorism, and with damaging or interfering with a navigation system.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver
Dense fog has reduced visibility to near-zero for the third straight day in Metro Vancouver, cancelling flights and creating potentially hazardous travel conditions. Environment Canada says a fog advisory is in effect for the Greater Vancouver area, as well as the Fraser Valley, Sunshine Coast and eastern Vancouver Island.

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey
One person is in custody and another is receiving treatment after a stabbing this morning in Surrey. Police say it happened near Princess Margaret Secondary school, which was placed under a temporary "hold and secure" order for a short time.

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police
Police say they've arrested a suspect five days after an unprovoked assault in downtown Vancouver. They say the alleged attack happened last Thursday in front of the Hudson's Bay store on West Georgia Street, where it was caught on surveillance video.

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police

Vancouver stabbing suspect dead after being shot by police

Vancouver stabbing suspect dead after being shot by police
The suspect in a downtown Vancouver stabbing attack has died in hospital after being shot by police. Vancouver police say two people suffered injuries that are not thought to be life threatening.

Vancouver stabbing suspect dead after being shot by police

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers says it's sent another round of counter-proposals to the federal mediator appointed to help it reach a deal with Canada Post as a countrywide strike nears the three-week mark. The union says it's ready to get back to federal mediation, which was put on pause last week as the two sides appeared too far apart to reach an agreement.

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan is defending his decision to accept an invitation from a B.C. Crown corporation to attend a Taylor Swift concert. A spokeswoman for Sajjan says the minister only accepted the tickets after receiving clearance from the ethics commissioner.

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation