Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre
In a new report, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security says it expects individuals affiliated with the Chinese government will continue to target diaspora communities, pushing narratives favourable to Beijing's interests on social media platforms. Cybercriminals are also likely to take advantage of election-related opportunities to perpetrate scams, says the centre, which is an arm of Canada's cyberspy agency, the Communications Security Establishment. 

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement
British Columbia Attorney General Niki Sharma says B.C.'s share of a landmark settlement for health damages from the big tobacco firms will be about $3.7 billion. It's part of a $32.5-billion Canadian settlement between JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. and their creditors after more than five years of negotiations.

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response
British Columbia will introduce legislation in the coming days that would give it the ability to levy fees on commercial trucks travelling from the United States through the province to Alaska, Premier David Eby said.  The move against Alaska-bound trucks is part of a series of responses the province is planning after the "unprecedented attack" from the United States that put a 25 per cent tariff on many Canadian goods.

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause
Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc says Canada has suspended a second wave of retaliatory tariffs after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order to pause some duties.

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list
Ryan James Wedding is wanted for allegedly leading an organized crime group that moved large shipments of cocaine from Colombia through Mexico and California to Canada and other locations in the United States.

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list

Shots over the bow: Why provinces are using liquor leverage in trade war with U.S.

Shots over the bow: Why provinces are using liquor leverage in trade war with U.S.
What they all have in common is the "currently unavailable" designation, having been yanked from sale by British Columbia's government in retaliation for U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs on Canadian imports. Calling time on U.S. alcohol has been a popular move among Canadian provincial and territorial governments looking for ways to fight back in the trade war. 

Shots over the bow: Why provinces are using liquor leverage in trade war with U.S.