Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight
Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly says there's a good chance that Russia could re-invade Ukraine if there are no security guarantees in a peace deal. Her statement comes after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and U.S. President Donald Trump engaged in a shocking verbal brawl in the White House today.

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley
A house fire and possible explosion has closed off a neighbourhood in Langley. RCMP say the fire was reported on Friday morning, and officers along with firefighters and paramedics responded to the scene in the 7300 block of 196 Street. Police say homes in the surrounding area have since been evacuated.

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say
Police in British Columbia say a 31-year-old man has been charged following investigation into a drug trafficking network operating in the Lower Mainland and Interior. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of B.C. says in a release that their investigation began in the Lower Mainland last July, but the team soon uncovered the network reached as far as Kamloops.

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner
Doug Ford's Progressive Conservatives won't have long to sit back and bask in the glow of winning a third majority government with an imminent tariff threat around the corner. The Tories won Ontario's snap provincial election Thursday with Ford speaking about the need to fight U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed tariffs at nearly every turn on the campaign trail.

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats
Anita Anand, minister of transport and internal trade, says she's changed her mind and will run in the upcoming federal election. In January, Anand said she would not run for the Liberal party leadership and would not seek re-election as she considered returning to her former life as an academic.

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats

New Westminster Police urge caution when using apps to meet strangers for sex

New Westminster Police urge caution when using apps to meet strangers for sex
Police in New Westminster are warning residents about the dangers of meeting up with strangers from dating apps for "casual sexual encounters."  Spokesman Sgt. Andrew Leaver says police have responded "on numerous occasions" to calls where a suspect has lured a victim after connecting online through a dating site.

New Westminster Police urge caution when using apps to meet strangers for sex