Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader
A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader. Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program
The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association says its members are urging all federal parties to keep funding the national dental care program, arguing it's good for the economy. The association says access to oral health care and preventive care increases worker productivity and keeps people from taking sick days. 

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he still intends to slap Canada with tariffs next week after a monthlong reprieve. But Canadians confused about Trump's plans aren't alone, with the U.S. president at times contradicting himself about his own tariff plans.

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security
Canadian law enforcement and border officials joined McGuinty and Canada's newly appointed "fentanyl czar" Kevin Brosseau in the U.S. capital this week to make a final diplomatic push against the tariffs. Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until March 4 after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security

B.C.'s NDP government survives non-confidence vote brought forward by Conservatives

B.C.'s NDP government survives non-confidence vote brought forward by Conservatives
The British Columbia government has survived a non-confidence vote late Wednesday after the Opposition Conservative party wasted no time in trying to overthrow the NDP. In a vote that split along party lines, a motion brought forward by Opposition leader John Rustad was narrowly defeated, with every Conservative member voting for while both BC Green Party representatives voted against alongside NDP members.

B.C.'s NDP government survives non-confidence vote brought forward by Conservatives

Vancouver council approves pause on supporting housing projects

Vancouver council approves pause on supporting housing projects
Vancouver's council has approved Mayor Ken Sim's plan to temporarily halt net new supportive housing projects in the city. A news release from Sim's office says it will allow the city to focus to "renewing aging, deteriorating stock," and transition temporary modular housing into permanent homes, while pushing for more supply elsewhere in the region.

Vancouver council approves pause on supporting housing projects