Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely
A month-long pause on Donald Trump's tariff threat has done little to ease Canadian concerns as key cabinet ministers return to Washington hoping to push the devastating duties off the table permanently. Wilkinson is making the case among key Republicans for a Canada-U. S. energy and resource alliance — part of an effort to align with U.S. President Donald Trump's goal of making America energy dominant.

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats
As U.S. President Donald Trump continues to hold out the threat of steep tariffs on Canadian imports, the federal trade minister is citing a new deal with Ecuador as proof that its trade diversification strategy is working. Mary Ng told The Canadian Press the free-trade agreement with Ecuador, the sixth-largest economy in South America, is the 16th such deal signed since the government launched its trade diversification push eight years ago.

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88
The Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the world’s Ismaili Muslims, has died at the age of 88. A post on social media from the Aga Khan Development Network says he passed away peacefully today in Lisbon, surrounded by his family.

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says there is no plan to send Canadian soldiers to the Canada-U.S. border. In a bid to head off crippling tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump, Canada has committed to tasking 10,000 frontline personnel with protecting the border.

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.
A man well known to police and identified in the courts as a gang leader faces charges in connection with a shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.  Police say Jarrod Bacon has been charged with aggravated assault, while John Chasse faces an assault charge in connection with the shooting that sent one person to hospital last Wednesday.

Gang leader and another man charged after shooting in Fort Nelson, B.C.

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing
British Columbia's human rights commissioner says the provincial government has effectively made police liaison programs mandatory in schools with its firing of the Greater Victoria school board, while failing to provide a factual basis for the decision. Kasari Govender says in a letter to Education Minister Lisa Beare and Public Safety Minister Gary Begg that failure to fund research into the matter is contrary to the government's human rights obligations "and undermines its stated values to combat racism."

B.C. human rights commissioner wants study of police in schools after board's firing