Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border
In a news release published Tuesday, the National Police Federation says it met with Canadian and U.S. police and public safety unions to talk about illegal migration, drug and firearms smuggling and human trafficking. The union says that the discussions helped it draft a set of recommendations for the Canadian and U.S. governments.

RCMP union recommends better staffing, procurement and collaboration on border

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid
Premier David Eby says protecting British Columbians from the potential impact of U.S. tariffs will be taken as seriously as the relief response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He says every decision being taken by his ministers, including plans for next month's budget, will be made through the lens of a "potentially protracted trade war."

Eby vows pandemic-style tariff relief in B.C., may include loans and unemployment aid

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'
U.S. President Donald Trump's press secretary says the plan to slap Canada with punishing tariffs on Saturday is still in play. Karoline Leavitt told reporters at the White House that she spoke with the president Monday night and he indicated Feb. 1 was "still on the books" for the introduction of damaging duties against Canada and Mexico.

Donald Trump's press secretary says Feb. 1 deadline for tariffs 'still on the books'

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations
Honveer Singh Randhawa and the BC Conservative Party said it had evidence of 45 suspicious votes in the Surrey-Guildford riding where the New Democrats won by just 22 votes, giving the party a slim majority government. 

Elections BC suspends probe into Conservative claims of vote violations

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik
One of the hit men who murdered former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik has received a mandatory life sentence, without the possibility of parole for 20 years. Tanner Fox told the BC Supreme Court hearing in New Westminster on Tuesday that he was sorry, and was "young and dumb" at the time of the hired killing.

Life sentence for 'young and dumb' hit man who killed former Air India suspect Malik

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public
Campers can begin planning their return to Jasper National Park less than one year after a devastating wildfire. Parks Canada officials say reservations can be booked starting today for frontcountry camping and self-registration campgrounds will be available on a first-come-first-served basis.

Registration for frontcountry camping in Jasper National Park opens to public