Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.
Trump's proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports would be a "deliberate economic attack" on B.C. families and people should think carefully about spending money in a country that wants to do them economic harm, Eby said during a news conference in Vancouver on Tuesday.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says a government led by him would cut the number of federal public servants — but he doesn't mind if they work from home. When asked by Radio-Canada on Tuesday if U.S. President Donald Trump’s executive order sending federal workers back to the office five days a week is a good idea, Poilievre said that what matters is whether public servants do the work.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts
The Canadian Armed Forces is no longer automatically disqualifying applicants with certain medical conditions such as allergies and ADHD, as it works to improve its numbers and grow the size of Canada's military.

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon
An American man recently found guilty of rioting at the U.S. Capitol four years ago remains in immigration custody in British Columbia, even after being given a presidential pardon for his actions. But the lawyer for 32-year-old Anthony Vo says his client plans to drop his asylum claim in Canada and he expects to be returned to the United States, possibly as early as this week. 

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death
A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder more than two years after a man was killed in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. A statement from Vancouver police says they were called on Jan. 17, 2023, to reports of a shooting inside the West Hotel rooming house. 

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks
Contract talks between the British Columbia government's unionized public sector workers start today with a union leader forecasting a difficult round of bargaining. B.C. General Employees' Union President Paul Finch says the contract for 34,000 provincial government workers expires March 31, but talks are starting earlier. 

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks