Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview
Mark Carney went on late-night television in the U.S. Monday to talk Trump, tariffs and carbon tax, but played coy on any plans to seek the Liberal leadership. The former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor appeared on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart for a 20-minute sit-down interview. 

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise
The Quebec government says it is worried about migrants crossing illegally into the United States from Canada, and is calling on the RCMP to deploy the necessary resources at the border. François Bonnardel, Quebec's public security minister, made the comments today in the provincial capital, one week before the inauguration of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says
The actual number of Ontario jobs affected by the 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that Trump has signalled are coming will depend on what sectors are targeted, Ford said, but the ministries have told him it could be between 450,000 to 500,000.

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership
In a statement to her supporters, Clark said that her French skills are not developed enough and that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's decision last week to step aside and trigger a short leadership race "did not leave enough time" for the party to renew itself and grow.

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver
R-C-M-P in North Vancouver say officers have arrested a man in connection with several random assaults and arson. Police say the man assaulted two people randomly on Christmas Day, and later set fire to the front door of an apartment building unit on December 29th. 

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money
The federal government has paused an incentive program that offered Canadians rebates of up to $5,000 when buying or leasing electric vehicles. In an update on its website, Transport Canada says the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles (iZEV) Program has been paused as "funds have been fully committed."

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money