Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings
Vancouver's Joe Average was an artist, advocate and activist whose bright, multicoloured images were as multi-faceted as his existence. But his sister Karin Carson says she used to giggle about his fame and always called him by Brock, his given name. 

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC
Mounties say major crime investigators are looking for witnesses or people who were in the area of the Finlay Community Connector Forest Service Road on Friday evening or Saturday morning. 

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

9-year-old girl dies in car crash
On Friday Calgary Police laid nearly a dozen charges on 30-year-old Duane Arlen John Nepoose, including dangerous driving causing death, three counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and fleeing from police.

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access