Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.
Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs in response to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's threat to levy a 25 per cent import tax on all Canadian goods, and Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to withhold the province's energy, which it exports to five states.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death
Seven Vancouver police officers who were present when Myles Gray was beaten to death in August 2015 will face a public hearing into their conduct, B.C.'s police complaint commissioner says.  A statement issued Wednesday by Commissioner Prabhu Rajan said Gray died after police responded to a 911 call and used "significant forced to subdue and restrain him."

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM
Speaking on Tuesday night at an event hosted by the Equal Voice Foundation — an organization dedicated to improving gender representation in Canadian politics — Trudeau said there are regressive forces fighting against women's progress.

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved
More than 15,000 people received medical assistance in dying in Canada in 2023, but federal statistics show the growth in cases has slowed significantly. Health Canada says in its fifth annual report on MAID that the 15,343 people who received help to die last year represented a 15.8 per cent increase from 2022.

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police
A 42-year-old man from Surrey faces charges of impaired operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit.  The man is set appear in court in March, while he has also lost his driver's licence for 90 days and the truck was impounded for 24 hours.

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam
Police in Coquitlam say they have arrested a man they believe was involved in a series of alleged sexual assaults in the Metro Vancouver city. They say police are investigating a total of nine reports of the suspect inappropriately touching women while they were walking.

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam