Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women
Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts
The Better Business Bureau in British Columbia is warning Taylor Swift fans of scams ahead of the superstar's Vancouver concerts, highlighting one case in which a social media profile was allegedly hacked and used to sell fake tickets. It says $2,000 was stolen from fans hoping to attend the shows, which will be at BC Place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues
Canada Post has presented the union representing some 55,000 striking postal workers with a framework to reach negotiated agreements, the corporation said. A statement issued Sunday said the framework includes proposals to bring greater flexibility to Canada Post's delivery model and shows "movement on other key issues" in the labour dispute that's stretching into the holiday season.

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has demanded the federal government present a plan before Parliament to beef up border security as U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatens to impose stiff tariffs on Canada.

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike
The U.S. Postal Service has temporarily suspended accepting mail headed to Canada due to the strike by Canada Post workers. It is asking customers to refrain from mailing items addressed to Canada, until further notice: The move by the U.S. Postal Service comes after some 55,000 Canada Post workers walked off the job more than two weeks ago.

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike

Canada lists Yemen's Houthi militant group as terrorist entity

Canada lists Yemen's Houthi militant group as terrorist entity
Canada has added Ansarallah, better known as the Houthi militant group, to its list of terrorist entities, following in the steps of allies like the United States. The group has launched numerous attacks on civilian and naval vessels in the Red Sea since November 2023, contributing to regional unrest in the midst of the Israel-Hamas war.

Canada lists Yemen's Houthi militant group as terrorist entity