Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

In America's 'most Canadian town,' Trump's trade war wounds wallets and hearts

In America's 'most Canadian town,' Trump's trade war wounds wallets and hearts
The tiny community of Point Roberts is a little bit of America, firmly fixed to British Columbia. It's the result of a cartographic quirk, occupying the southern tip of the otherwise-Canadian Tsawwassen peninsula that is surrounded by water, but dangles south of the 49th parallel.  The exclave gets water and electricity from Metro Vancouver and sometimes Canadian firefighters come to the rescue.

In America's 'most Canadian town,' Trump's trade war wounds wallets and hearts

Bank of Canada cuts benchmark rate to 2.75%

Bank of Canada cuts benchmark rate to 2.75%
The Bank of Canada announces an interest rate cut as a cloud of uncertainty looms over the Canadian economy. Economists polled by Reuters widely saw the central bank lowering its key lending rate to 2.75 per cent, which marks its seventh consecutive cut.

Bank of Canada cuts benchmark rate to 2.75%

Canada to impose 25% tariffs on $29.8B in U.S. goods starting Thursday

Canada to impose 25% tariffs on $29.8B in U.S. goods starting Thursday
The federal government will impose 25 per cent tariffs on U.S. goods worth $29.8 billion in retaliation for steel and aluminum tariffs the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump imposed today. All countries, including Canada, were hit Wednesday with 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports into the United States — part of Trump's attempts to realign global trade.

Canada to impose 25% tariffs on $29.8B in U.S. goods starting Thursday

White House says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

White House says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs
After another chaotic day in Canada-U.S. relations, U.S. President Donald Trump dropped his threat to double tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum imports after Ontario agreed to pause a surcharge on electricity exports. White House spokesman Kush Desai confirmed a 25 per cent tariff on steel and aluminum, with no exceptions, will go into effect for Canada and all other countries on Wednesday.

White House says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

B.C. takes advantage of U.S. 'chaos,' trade war to attract more doctors and nurses

B.C. takes advantage of U.S. 'chaos,' trade war to attract more doctors and nurses
The "chaos" in the United States provides an opportunity for British Columbia to recruit more American doctors and nurses, the province's health minister said as she announced changes aimed at fast-tracking the recognition of their credentials. Josie Osborne said "now is the time" for U.S. health workers to make the move.

B.C. takes advantage of U.S. 'chaos,' trade war to attract more doctors and nurses

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs
Premier Doug Ford says U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick has committed to lowering U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff on Canadian aluminum and steel back to 25 per cent after Ontario agreed to pause a surcharge on electricity exports to the United States.

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs