Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Eby: B.C. will remove consumer carbon tax as promised once federal barrier is down

Eby: B.C. will remove consumer carbon tax as promised once federal barrier is down
British Columbia Premier David Eby says his government will move as quickly as it can to remove the consumer-based carbon tax once the federal law upholding it is removed. Eby's response comes after Mark Carney won the federal Liberal leadership race and reiterated during his speech Sunday that he will reverse the consumer carbon price. 

Eby: B.C. will remove consumer carbon tax as promised once federal barrier is down

Mark Carney is the new Liberal leader. What happens now?

Mark Carney is the new Liberal leader. What happens now?
Mark Carney was elected to lead the Liberal party on Sunday and will soon become Canada's next prime minister. Carney captured 85.9 per cent of the Liberal vote - far ahead of opponents Chrystia Freeland (who got eight per cent), Karina Gould (3.2 per cent) and Frank Baylis, who came in last with three per cent.  Carney has promised a speedy transition of power and an early election call is widely expected in the coming days or weeks.

Mark Carney is the new Liberal leader. What happens now?

B.C. pulling all U.S. booze from government stores, widening red-state liquor ban

B.C. pulling all U.S. booze from government stores, widening red-state liquor ban
American beer, wine and all other alcohol is being removed from government stores in British Columbia in retaliation for U.S. tariffs, expanding a ban on liquor from so-called red states that voted for U.S. President Donald Trump. Premier David Eby said the widening of the ban to cover all alcohol, regardless of its state of origin, comes in response the latest news from the United States, including threats of additional tariffs on the dairy industry. 

B.C. pulling all U.S. booze from government stores, widening red-state liquor ban

Trudeau says that 'Canada is not a given' in farewell speech amid Trump threats

Trudeau says that 'Canada is not a given' in farewell speech amid Trump threats
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that freedom, democracy and Canada "are not a given" in his farewell speech to Liberals just before former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney was announced as the new Liberal leader.  This comes as U.S. President Donald Trump threatens Canada with economic annexation and places tariffs on Canadian imports coming into the United States.

Trudeau says that 'Canada is not a given' in farewell speech amid Trump threats

Ironworkers Local 97 calls for 'immediate end' to Temporary Foreign Worker program

Ironworkers Local 97 calls for 'immediate end' to Temporary Foreign Worker program
Ironworkers Local 97 business manager Doug Parton said the union has been lobbying the federal government for years about shoring up the domestic skilled trades workforce. 

Ironworkers Local 97 calls for 'immediate end' to Temporary Foreign Worker program

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town
Mounties in B.C. say a 64-year-old Vancouver man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of a man in 70 Mile House in December 2021. B.C. RCMP say 52-year-old The-Thanh (Ted) Nguyen was found unresponsive at a home in the small community on Dec. 26, 2021 and efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town