Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

LeBlanc, Joly to meet with incoming Trump administration officials in Florida

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Dec, 2024 10:46 AM
  • LeBlanc, Joly to meet with incoming Trump administration officials in Florida

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly are in Florida to meet with officials from president-elect Donald Trump's incoming administration.

A statement from LeBlanc's office says the duo travelled to Palm Beach, where they planned to use those talks to underscore "Canada's efforts to combat fentanyl trafficking and illegal migration and the measures outlined in Canada’s Border Plan."

Spokesman Jean-Sébastien Comeau says they will also emphasize the negative impacts of a potential 25 per cent tariff on Canadian goods, both in Canada and the U.S.

Trump has threatened 25 per cent tariffs against Canada, prompting discussions at both the federal and provincial levels on the best way to deal with the incoming Trump government.

Since winning the presidential election in November, Trump has repeatedly referred to Canada as the "51st state" and to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as the "governor" of Canada.

Comeau says the ministers "look forward to building on the discussions that took place when the prime minister met with President Trump at Mar-a-Lago last month," as well as a recent call the ministers held with Trump's "border czar" Tom Homan.

MORE National ARTICLES

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel
A British Columbia boat owner has been fined $13,500 after failing to remove the partially sunken vessel from a bay along the coast of Vancouver Island. Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the owner was given a deadline last March to remove the 12-metre fishing vessel from the waters near Gold River on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam
Police in British Columbia are warning the public about what they describe as a "hit man" scam. Prince George RCMP say the fraud scheme involves victims who receive texts or emails with threatening messages saying the sender is being sent to kill them. 

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week
Parks Canada says it realizes wildfire evacuees from Jasper worry about what rotting food will do to their homes and that others wonder when a critical highway through the national park will reopen, but it says the blaze continues to burn out of control and remains a threat to the town. A statement from the federal agency on Sunday said requests have poured in from people asking for help in retrieving important personal items or to remove food, fridges and freezers.

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week

Slocan region in Interior B.C. evacuated due to multiple wildfires

Slocan region in Interior B.C. evacuated due to multiple wildfires
The mayor of Slocan says the skies were filled with ominous thick smoke while she drove out of her community that's now under an evacuation order as wildfires burn on either side. Jessica Lunn says most of Slocan's approximately 370 residents had already left Sunday morning, as she and her family evacuated and firefighters set up sprinklers to protect structures and prepared to pump water from the nearby lake.

Slocan region in Interior B.C. evacuated due to multiple wildfires

Walmart closes after fire

Walmart closes after fire
A Walmart in East Vancouver has been closed after a fire that appears to have been deliberately set Saturday caused millions of dollars of damage. A Facebook post from the store on Grandview Highway says all employees and costumers are safe but calls the incident "shocking, dangerous and shameful."

Walmart closes after fire

B.C. tree fruit grower co-operative shuts down after 88 years, citing low volume

B.C. tree fruit grower co-operative shuts down after 88 years, citing low volume
Weather this winter wiped out almost all of B.C.'s peaches, apricots and nectarines for the year and severely damaged cherry orchards. In mid-January, the Interior saw several days of frigid temperatures that killed off active buds in trees that had only just begun to recover from the 2021 heat dome and had gone through a harsh winter in 2022.

B.C. tree fruit grower co-operative shuts down after 88 years, citing low volume