Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

LeBlanc, Joly to meet with incoming Trump administration officials in Florida

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Dec, 2024 10:46 AM
  • LeBlanc, Joly to meet with incoming Trump administration officials in Florida

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly are in Florida to meet with officials from president-elect Donald Trump's incoming administration.

A statement from LeBlanc's office says the duo travelled to Palm Beach, where they planned to use those talks to underscore "Canada's efforts to combat fentanyl trafficking and illegal migration and the measures outlined in Canada’s Border Plan."

Spokesman Jean-Sébastien Comeau says they will also emphasize the negative impacts of a potential 25 per cent tariff on Canadian goods, both in Canada and the U.S.

Trump has threatened 25 per cent tariffs against Canada, prompting discussions at both the federal and provincial levels on the best way to deal with the incoming Trump government.

Since winning the presidential election in November, Trump has repeatedly referred to Canada as the "51st state" and to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as the "governor" of Canada.

Comeau says the ministers "look forward to building on the discussions that took place when the prime minister met with President Trump at Mar-a-Lago last month," as well as a recent call the ministers held with Trump's "border czar" Tom Homan.

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Suspect arrested in sexual assault
Police in Victoria say they've arrested a suspect who they believe violently sexually assaulted a woman last week. Victoria police say a woman was threatened and assaulted in the early morning hours of July 18th after an unknown man took her to an area near a piece of public art known as the Commerce Canoe before fleeing. 

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog
A Manitoba RCMP officer has been charged after a woman complained she was assaulted during a domestic call last year. Police were called to a home in The Pas in September after receiving reports of a dispute between two women. 

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire
Ramanath Das said he is aware that the eco-village he and his family are building in Venables Valley, B.C., may no longer exist when they return after being evacuated due to an encroaching wildfire. “We’re ready to go back and everything is as it was with ash all over it, or nothing’s there," said Das, who is the general manager of Vedic Eco Village.

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago
The federal government has reached a $147-million settlement with a First Nation in British Columbia over a dispute about water rights that dates back to the late 1800s. Members of the Esk'etemc First Nation in the Cariboo region began hand digging an irrigation ditch to their reserve with picks and shovels in the 1890s, but the government forced them to stop just a kilometre from their goal to access water for their reserve. 

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M
A fraud victim in Richmond has lost more than 1.5 million dollars. R-C-M-P say the victim reported sending the money after people posing as Chinese police officers falsely told them about a supposed outstanding arrest warrant in Hong Kong.

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Man dies in Surrey stabbing

Man dies in Surrey stabbing
Police say they're investigating a fatal stabbing in Surrey last night. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a complaint of a fight along King George Boulevard and arrived to find a man suffering from stab wounds. 

Man dies in Surrey stabbing