Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jun, 2024 02:48 PM
  • Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

The Liberal government's changes to capital gains taxation came into effect Tuesday, despite significant pushback from business and physicians' groups.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's spring budget proposed making two-thirds of capital gains — the profit made on the sale of assets such as a secondary residence or stocks — taxable, rather than one-half.

For individuals' capital gains of $250,000 or less, the inclusion rate would remain the same, at 50 per cent.

At a time when the Liberals are looking to woo back young voters, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has pitched the effective tax increase as a way to deliver generational fairness. 

The Liberal government says the $19.4 billion it expects to raise in five years due to the changes will help pay for housing and other priorities for young people.

Freeland introduced a standalone motion on the changes, which easily passed the House of Commons earlier this month. 

The NDP, Bloc Québécois and Greens voted with the Liberals in favour of the motion while the Conservatives, who had been silent on the tax changes until then, voted against it.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre insisted the wealthy will find ways to move their money out of Canada to avoid paying the tax, which will negatively affect farmers, small businesses, doctors and homebuilders.

The changes have sparked backlash from business groups who say that the higher inclusion rate will hurt the economy by lessening competition and innovation.

Physicians' groups have spoken out against it as well, noting that many doctors have used their incorporated medical practices to invest and save for retirement.

But the Liberals have brushed off the opposition, arguing that only a small portion of wealthy Canadians will face a higher tax bill. 

During a speech earlier this month, Freeland questioned Canada's wealthiest on what kind of country they want to live in. The finance minister painted a bleak picture of the alternative to hiking taxes and increasing spending on health care and social services.

"Do you want to live in a country where those at the very top live lives of luxury, but must do so in gated communities behind ever-higher fences using private health care and airplanes because the public sphere is so degraded and the wrath of the vast majority of their less privileged compatriots burns so hot?" Freeland said.

Ottawa estimates that in any given year, 0.13 per cent of Canadians would pay higher taxes on their capital gains.

To encourage entrepreneurship, the government is also proposing the Canadian Entrepreneurs' Incentive, which will reduce the inclusion rate to a third on a lifetime maximum of $2 million in eligible capital gains.

A statement by The International Monetary Fund on June 11, written by IMF staff after concluding a regularly scheduled visit to Canada, was quietly positive about the capital gains change. 

The preliminary concluding statement said the change "improves the tax system’s neutrality with respect to different forms of capital income and is likely to have no significant impact on investment or productivity growth."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Get another COVID-19 booster in the fall, Canada's immunization panel recommends

Get another COVID-19 booster in the fall, Canada's immunization panel recommends
NACI continues to strongly recommend that anyone five years of age and older who hasn't yet been vaccinated should be immunized with a primary two-dose series of an mRNA vaccine. It also has a "discretionary recommendation" that children six months to five years of age who haven't yet been vaccinated get the two-dose primary series of an mRNA vaccine.

Get another COVID-19 booster in the fall, Canada's immunization panel recommends

Southbound surges of U.S. agents causing delays, 'disarray' at Canada-U.S. border

Southbound surges of U.S. agents causing delays, 'disarray' at Canada-U.S. border
New York Democrat Rep. Brian Higgins says Customs and Border Protection personnel are being temporarily reassigned to help fortify the U.S. border with Mexico. Higgins says as a result, busy points of entry along the Canada-U.S. border are seeing longer delays and unstaffed kiosks. 

Southbound surges of U.S. agents causing delays, 'disarray' at Canada-U.S. border

NATO leaders agree to spend at least two per cent of their countries' GDP on defence

NATO leaders agree to spend at least two per cent of their countries' GDP on defence
A statement released this afternoon in Vilnius, Lithuania, says NATO members pledge to make two per cent of GDP the minimum spend each year, with one-fifth of that going to equipment.

NATO leaders agree to spend at least two per cent of their countries' GDP on defence

As pandemic business loan repayment deadline looms, calls for extending deadline grow

As pandemic business loan repayment deadline looms, calls for extending deadline grow
The Canada Emergency Business Account program provided about 900,000 small businesses and not-for-profits up to $60,000 in interest-free loans during the pandemic. The deadline to repay these loans was extended last year to December 31, 2023 to ease pressure on businesses still recovering from the pandemic. 

As pandemic business loan repayment deadline looms, calls for extending deadline grow

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan
IHIT investigators are identifying the victim as 29-year old, Pavanbar Paul Mannan, of Surrey, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP say in a statement Mannan was found in a white Ford Edge in the alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street around 5 p.m. on Sunday, and was later declared dead at a hospital.

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier
White Rock RCMP beach patrol officers were on foot nearby and gave chase along the promenade. After a short foot pursuit three males were arrested and their knives seized. Two youth males, were released from police custody with conditions and future court dates, into the care of their parents/guardians.

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier