Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:09 PM
  • Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Contenders to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader are attempting to one-up each other over how quickly they'd meet Canada's defence spending commitment to NATO.

Both Chrystia Freeland and Karina Gould vowed Thursday to bring Canada's military spending up to the equivalent of two per cent of national GDP by 2027 — five years ahead of Trudeau's timeline and three ahead of rival candidate Mark Carney's plan.

"The world is increasingly volatile and dangerous. We must quickly scale up to defend our sovereignty, meet our international commitments, and support the brave men and women who serve in uniform," Freeland said in a media statement.

Freeland and Gould promised pay hikes for Canadian Armed Forces members. Montreal businessman and rival leadership candidate Frank Baylis said Canada is "underpaying our soldiers."

“Our CAF members are there for us in our time of greatest need," Gould said at a campaign event in Toronto.

Freeland was the most specific of any candidate, pledging a 50 per cent hike in wages for regular force members and better benefits.

Baylis committed on Thursday to reaching the NATO target by 2030, something he pitched in a column in the National Post in July last year.

"We don't want to be wasting money as we get there," he said of the longer time frame. "It's not about just spending money, but it's about spending it intelligently."

Gould said she would also appoint a "procurement czar" to speed up backlogged military purchasing.

Freeland said she would exempt defence procurement from trade tribunal oversight and use the "Urgent Operational Requirement" exemption for all defence procurement until Canada hits the target — effectively dispensing with the normal rules to rush purchases through the system.

The pledges came just a day after Carney promised to meet Canada's NATO commitment by the end of the decade. He did not provide a plan.

Baylis accused Carney on Thursday of "parroting" his column from a year ago that proposed the same 2030 target date.

Prime Minister Trudeau has said his government aims to reach the spending mark by 2032, but the Liberal government has not booked the funding in its fiscal tables.

And two per cent still might not be enough to appease disgruntled American lawmakers. U.S. President Donald Trump has said NATO members should now have to spend five per cent of their GDP on defence — even though the U.S. doesn't spend that much.

Defence Minister Bill Blair and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne concluded days of meetings with congressional leaders and defence sector businesses in Washington on Thursday.

Blair said on a call from Washington that Canadian officials have been looking into how to speed up the spending time frame for many months now. But it will still take time to complete large bulk purchases, such as the F-35 fighter jets and the submarines the government is considering purchasing.

"The government of Canada still has to make decisions about when it can afford to add this to our fiscal framework because that has to be done in a responsible way," Blair said. "But the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence will be ready when the government asks us to move forward."

Defence ministers from NATO countries are set to gather in Brussels for meetings next week, and the topic of member nations' defence spending is certain to come up.

"I'm sure that there'll be discussion among all of the NATO allies about the need to do more and to do it more quickly, and we'll be part of those discussions," Blair said.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case
The British Columbia Securities Commission has imposed more than $18 million in sanctions on a cryptocurrency trading platform and its owner who it says diverted customers' assets to gambling and personal accounts. The commission says it has ordered David Smillie and his company, ezBtc, to pay $10.4 million representing the net amount they've gained from their customers "less repayments."

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women
Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts
The Better Business Bureau in British Columbia is warning Taylor Swift fans of scams ahead of the superstar's Vancouver concerts, highlighting one case in which a social media profile was allegedly hacked and used to sell fake tickets. It says $2,000 was stolen from fans hoping to attend the shows, which will be at BC Place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues
Canada Post has presented the union representing some 55,000 striking postal workers with a framework to reach negotiated agreements, the corporation said. A statement issued Sunday said the framework includes proposals to bring greater flexibility to Canada Post's delivery model and shows "movement on other key issues" in the labour dispute that's stretching into the holiday season.

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has demanded the federal government present a plan before Parliament to beef up border security as U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatens to impose stiff tariffs on Canada.

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike
The U.S. Postal Service has temporarily suspended accepting mail headed to Canada due to the strike by Canada Post workers. It is asking customers to refrain from mailing items addressed to Canada, until further notice: The move by the U.S. Postal Service comes after some 55,000 Canada Post workers walked off the job more than two weeks ago.

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike