Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:09 PM
  • Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Contenders to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader are attempting to one-up each other over how quickly they'd meet Canada's defence spending commitment to NATO.

Both Chrystia Freeland and Karina Gould vowed Thursday to bring Canada's military spending up to the equivalent of two per cent of national GDP by 2027 — five years ahead of Trudeau's timeline and three ahead of rival candidate Mark Carney's plan.

"The world is increasingly volatile and dangerous. We must quickly scale up to defend our sovereignty, meet our international commitments, and support the brave men and women who serve in uniform," Freeland said in a media statement.

Freeland and Gould promised pay hikes for Canadian Armed Forces members. Montreal businessman and rival leadership candidate Frank Baylis said Canada is "underpaying our soldiers."

“Our CAF members are there for us in our time of greatest need," Gould said at a campaign event in Toronto.

Freeland was the most specific of any candidate, pledging a 50 per cent hike in wages for regular force members and better benefits.

Baylis committed on Thursday to reaching the NATO target by 2030, something he pitched in a column in the National Post in July last year.

"We don't want to be wasting money as we get there," he said of the longer time frame. "It's not about just spending money, but it's about spending it intelligently."

Gould said she would also appoint a "procurement czar" to speed up backlogged military purchasing.

Freeland said she would exempt defence procurement from trade tribunal oversight and use the "Urgent Operational Requirement" exemption for all defence procurement until Canada hits the target — effectively dispensing with the normal rules to rush purchases through the system.

The pledges came just a day after Carney promised to meet Canada's NATO commitment by the end of the decade. He did not provide a plan.

Baylis accused Carney on Thursday of "parroting" his column from a year ago that proposed the same 2030 target date.

Prime Minister Trudeau has said his government aims to reach the spending mark by 2032, but the Liberal government has not booked the funding in its fiscal tables.

And two per cent still might not be enough to appease disgruntled American lawmakers. U.S. President Donald Trump has said NATO members should now have to spend five per cent of their GDP on defence — even though the U.S. doesn't spend that much.

Defence Minister Bill Blair and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne concluded days of meetings with congressional leaders and defence sector businesses in Washington on Thursday.

Blair said on a call from Washington that Canadian officials have been looking into how to speed up the spending time frame for many months now. But it will still take time to complete large bulk purchases, such as the F-35 fighter jets and the submarines the government is considering purchasing.

"The government of Canada still has to make decisions about when it can afford to add this to our fiscal framework because that has to be done in a responsible way," Blair said. "But the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence will be ready when the government asks us to move forward."

Defence ministers from NATO countries are set to gather in Brussels for meetings next week, and the topic of member nations' defence spending is certain to come up.

"I'm sure that there'll be discussion among all of the NATO allies about the need to do more and to do it more quickly, and we'll be part of those discussions," Blair said.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP investigating death of Edmonton man after mixed martial arts fight

RCMP investigating death of Edmonton man after mixed martial arts fight
Mounties in Alberta are investigating the death of a fighter following a mixed martial arts charity event. RCMP Cpl. Troy Savinkoff said the man was taken to hospital after he fought Saturday at a community centre in Enoch Cree First Nation west of Edmonton. Parkland RCMP received a report of the man's death on Monday morning, he said.

RCMP investigating death of Edmonton man after mixed martial arts fight

Liberal GST holiday expected to pass soon as government introduces solo bill

Liberal GST holiday expected to pass soon as government introduces solo bill
The Liberal government introduced a stand-alone bill to implement its proposed GST holiday Wednesday, hours after the NDP threatened it would not pass the legislation if it was linked to a $250 rebate for working Canadians.

Liberal GST holiday expected to pass soon as government introduces solo bill

B.C. Premier Eby says U.S. tariffs would be 'devastating' for forest industry

B.C. Premier Eby says U.S. tariffs would be 'devastating' for forest industry
British Columbia Premier David Eby says 25-per-cent U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods would be "devastating" for the province's lumber and forestry industries. He made the comment ahead of a meeting with fellow first ministers and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

B.C. Premier Eby says U.S. tariffs would be 'devastating' for forest industry

Shots fired at a Delta home

Shots fired at a Delta home
Police in Delta say no one was injured after shots were fired into a home in the city yesterday morning. Police say the shooting happened at around 3 a-m, when an unknown suspect shot into the home located in the 113-hundred block of 92nd Avenue.

Shots fired at a Delta home

Mountie injured during arrest

Mountie injured during arrest
Mounties say the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia has been called in to investigate after an officer was shot during an arrest near Midway yesterday. They say officers began surveilling a suspicious truck that travelled through several jurisdictions and eventually began driving up a forest service road near the Midway area.

Mountie injured during arrest

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive
Police say a hiker who was reported missing more than five weeks ago amid frigid conditions in northern British Columbia has been found alive. Northern Rockies RCMP say Sam Benastick was spotted on Tuesday when he flagged down two workers on a trail to Redfern Lake, about 250 kilometres southwest of Fort Nelson.

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive