Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:09 PM
  • Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Contenders to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader are attempting to one-up each other over how quickly they'd meet Canada's defence spending commitment to NATO.

Both Chrystia Freeland and Karina Gould vowed Thursday to bring Canada's military spending up to the equivalent of two per cent of national GDP by 2027 — five years ahead of Trudeau's timeline and three ahead of rival candidate Mark Carney's plan.

"The world is increasingly volatile and dangerous. We must quickly scale up to defend our sovereignty, meet our international commitments, and support the brave men and women who serve in uniform," Freeland said in a media statement.

Freeland and Gould promised pay hikes for Canadian Armed Forces members. Montreal businessman and rival leadership candidate Frank Baylis said Canada is "underpaying our soldiers."

“Our CAF members are there for us in our time of greatest need," Gould said at a campaign event in Toronto.

Freeland was the most specific of any candidate, pledging a 50 per cent hike in wages for regular force members and better benefits.

Baylis committed on Thursday to reaching the NATO target by 2030, something he pitched in a column in the National Post in July last year.

"We don't want to be wasting money as we get there," he said of the longer time frame. "It's not about just spending money, but it's about spending it intelligently."

Gould said she would also appoint a "procurement czar" to speed up backlogged military purchasing.

Freeland said she would exempt defence procurement from trade tribunal oversight and use the "Urgent Operational Requirement" exemption for all defence procurement until Canada hits the target — effectively dispensing with the normal rules to rush purchases through the system.

The pledges came just a day after Carney promised to meet Canada's NATO commitment by the end of the decade. He did not provide a plan.

Baylis accused Carney on Thursday of "parroting" his column from a year ago that proposed the same 2030 target date.

Prime Minister Trudeau has said his government aims to reach the spending mark by 2032, but the Liberal government has not booked the funding in its fiscal tables.

And two per cent still might not be enough to appease disgruntled American lawmakers. U.S. President Donald Trump has said NATO members should now have to spend five per cent of their GDP on defence — even though the U.S. doesn't spend that much.

Defence Minister Bill Blair and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne concluded days of meetings with congressional leaders and defence sector businesses in Washington on Thursday.

Blair said on a call from Washington that Canadian officials have been looking into how to speed up the spending time frame for many months now. But it will still take time to complete large bulk purchases, such as the F-35 fighter jets and the submarines the government is considering purchasing.

"The government of Canada still has to make decisions about when it can afford to add this to our fiscal framework because that has to be done in a responsible way," Blair said. "But the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence will be ready when the government asks us to move forward."

Defence ministers from NATO countries are set to gather in Brussels for meetings next week, and the topic of member nations' defence spending is certain to come up.

"I'm sure that there'll be discussion among all of the NATO allies about the need to do more and to do it more quickly, and we'll be part of those discussions," Blair said.

MORE National ARTICLES

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico
Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime.

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership
The FMWC was founded in 1924 by six pioneering female physicians who, at the time, faced significant barriers to entering and practicing in medical school. Their determination reshaped the field, creating opportunities for the generations of women physicians in Canada today.

Federation of Medical Women of Canada Marks 100 Years of Advocacy with Gala Celebration and New Leadership

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House
The federal government is asking Parliament for approval to spend billions of dollars, but the ongoing stalemate in the House of Commons could prevent the Liberals from getting the green light. Treasury Board President Anita Anand tabled a request on Monday for $21.6 billion to fund programs including housing, dental care and the national school food program.

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan
One in five immigrants who come to Canada ultimately leave the country within 25 years, with about one-third of those people moving on within the first five years. The findings come from a report by the Institute for Canadian Citizenship and the Conference Board of Canada, which looked at the issue of onward migration for the second time. 

Report finds 1 in 5 newcomers leave Canada within 25 years, calls for retention plan

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver
The Transportation Safety Board says it's investigating after a Boeing 767 cargo jet went off a runway at Vancouver International Airport. The airport says the aircraft went off the north runway after landing about 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday, but none of the three-person crew was hurt. 

Transportation Safety Board investigating after plane goes off runway in Vancouver

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet
Premier David Eby says "kitchen table" issues in British Columbia will be the focus for his revamped, post election cabinet that was sworn in on Monday. Eby's new cabinet, comprising 23 ministers and four ministers of state, features a mix of new and familiar faces elected in last month's narrow one-seat New Democrat election win.

Dix out as health minister as Eby introduces a drastically reshaped B.C. NDP cabinet