Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal leadership race raises questions about possible fundraising 'loophole'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:28 AM
  • Liberal leadership race raises questions about possible fundraising 'loophole'

Only two of the candidates in the Liberal leadership race — Mark Carney and Ruby Dhalla — disclosed their fundraising events to Elections Canada.

A political transparency advocate says this exposes a "loophole" in the rules for funding political campaigns that needs to be closed — since some of the contenders held fundraisers without publicly disclosing them or reporting who attended.

Carney reported eight fundraisers to Elections Canada over the course of the two-month race, while Dhalla — whom the party eventually kicked out of the race — disclosed one.

But Chrystia Freeland — who held several fundraiser events during the race — and candidates Frank Baylis and Karina Gould did not add any information to the public disclosure list.

Leadership candidates and political parties must disclose their fundraisers in advance if they meet certain conditions — if, for example, at least one person had to pay more than $200 to attend a fundraiser. If they break the disclosure rule, they have to return the money.

A fundraiser Freeland held on Feb. 10 listed on Eventbrite in Toronto's Etobicoke area only states that the "recommended donation amount" was between $500 and $1,750.

"This is a loophole that allows someone to go and lobby (candidates) without it being disclosed," said Duff Conacher, co-founder of Democracy Watch.

He said the public has a right to know who is organizing, holding and paying to attend fundraising events so that access to politicians through donations can be tracked. He said this prevents the appearance of a conflict of interest from "tainting politicians’ policy-making decisions."

The Liberal government passed Bill C-50 in 2018 that ushered in the fundraiser disclosure requirements, in response to a wave of criticism of opaque, pricey fundraisers featuring Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other cabinet ministers.

"The whole reason for the act was to be tracking fundraising events and who's attending," Conacher said.

Ottawa-based lawyer Scott Thurlow, an expert in Canadian elections law, said he wouldn't describe this as a "loophole" since the rules were designed this way.

"Parliament's made a deliberate decision to do that," he said. "If one person pays $200, then they have to enumerate the contributors who do so."

The rules state that parties and candidates have a month after holding a fundraiser that counts as a regulated event to disclose the names of those who attended. A fundraiser is also considered a regulated event if it's attended by prominent people such as leadership candidates, party leaders or cabinet ministers.

"I don't think there's anyone who's breaking any rules here," Thurlow said.

Freeland's campaign spokesperson Katherine Cuplinskas said the campaign "followed all rules set out" by the party and Elections Canada.

The Baylis campaign held dozens events in B.C., Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, but did not officially make any of them fundraisers.

"All our events throughout the campaign were non-ticketed events," said Baylis campaign spokesperson Justine McIntyre. "Supporters could attend on their own terms, making a donation if they chose to do so."

Gould's campaign has said previously she did not hold any fundraiser events; it did not offer a comment on Monday.

Gould was the democratic institutions minister who shepherded Bill C-50 through Parliament.

Carney's campaign has posted one report so far that lists those who attended a fundraiser held in Ottawa on Feb. 6. They included several prominent Liberal lobbyists and residents of Ottawa's posh Rockcliffe area, along with former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty.

Carney's next fundraising report, for an event held in Vancouver, B.C., will have to be disclosed a few days from now.

Sachit Mehra, the Liberal party's president, said Sunday evening that the party has just experienced its greatest first quarter "grassroots" fundraising result ever — and the reporting period hadn't even closed yet.

MORE National ARTICLES

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria
A man has been charged after a paramedic was assaulted while responding to a call in Victoria. City police say it happened last night when a man began hitting and kicking a paramedic in the face as they tried to medically assist him.

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister
Defence Minister Bill Blair is defending Canada's spending promise at the NATO leaders' summit in Washington, D.C., as critics throw cold water on the government's new pledge to meet the two per cent target by 2032. "That number didn’t sort of just come out of the air," Blair said Friday after returning to Toronto. "It came out of a lot of hard work."

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Man dies in Surrey shooting

Man dies in Surrey shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a man has died after a shooting last Friday. R-C-M-P say the man was found suffering from a gunshot wound in a parking lot near Cineplex cinemas' Strawberry Hill location along 122 Street.

Man dies in Surrey shooting

B.C. premier says 'zero per cent chance' for no-prescription opioid suggestion

B.C. premier says 'zero per cent chance' for no-prescription opioid suggestion
British Columbia Premier David Eby says there's a "zero per cent chance" the province will implement recommendations by the provincial health officer that alternatives to opioids and other street drugs be made available without a prescription. Eby says he has "huge respect" for Dr. Bonnie Henry, who he said saved countless lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, adding that it's OK they occasionally have a difference of opinion. 

B.C. premier says 'zero per cent chance' for no-prescription opioid suggestion

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police
Police in Vancouver say a three-year investigation has led to the arrests of six people allegedly connected to a "sophisticated" organized crime group. Police say the probe began in November 2021, focusing on a kilogram-level drug-trafficking operation working both domestically and internationally.

Six charged, 200 kg of drugs seized in three-year investigation: Vancouver police

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre
Supervised consumption sites are just "drug dens" that a future Conservative government would not fund and seek to close, Pierre Poilievre said Friday. During a visit to a park near such a site in Montreal, Poilievre said he would shutter all locations near schools, playgrounds and "anywhere else that they endanger the public."

Conservatives to scale back, slash funds to supervised consumption sites: Poilievre