Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals table crime bill to restrict access to bail, impose tougher sentences

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 09:46 AM
  • Liberals table crime bill to restrict access to bail, impose tougher sentences

The Liberal government tabled legislation Thursday morning that would make it harder to get bail for a variety of offences, including vehicle thefts, extortion and breaking and entering.

The bill would impose a reverse onus on bail for certain offences. That would move the burden of proof from the prosecutor to the accused, meaning they would have to justify being granted bail.

The Criminal Code already has a reverse onus for bail in place for many serious offences, including murder.

The legislation says judges would be required to impose weapons bans on people charged with extortion or offences related to organized crime when they do receive bail.

The bill also would allow for consecutive sentences for violent and repeat offenders, so that multiple sentences could not be served at the same time. Crimes subject to consecutive sentences would include vehicle theft, break and enter, extortion and arson.

The Supreme Court has ruled that imposing consecutive life sentences is unconstitutional, but a government official briefing reporters on background said none of the offences eligible for consecutive sentences under the legislation come with that penalty.

The legislation would require that judges consider the number and gravity of outstanding charges facing an accused before deciding whether pretrial detention is necessary.

It also would establish new aggravating factors for sentencing for repeat violent offences, offences against first responders, retail theft and mischief to property.

The bill includes new restrictions on granting conditional sentences, or house arrest, for sexual assault and sex crimes involving a minor.

The legislation proposes changes to the Youth Criminal Justice Act that would allow police to publish identifying information about a person under the age of 18 when there is an imminent danger to public safety.

Police currently are able to publish this kind of information only with a court order. The proposed change is meant to speed up the process of sharing information when there is a public safety risk. 

The bill also would clarify the definition of "violent offence" in the Youth Criminal Justice Act to include any offence where a minor causes bodily harm.

Premiers, opposition parties and police agencies have been calling on the government to impose tougher bail laws in response to an increase in vehicle thefts, extortion, organized retail theft and other violent crimes in recent years.

Officials briefing reporters said that a Charter of Rights statement has been ordered for this legislation to determine whether it could stand up to a court challenge.

Officials said that judges' ability to consider Gladue factors — which examine the effects of racism and poverty on an Indigenous person accused of an offence — will not be affected by this legislation.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits
Some Liberal MPs say they think their government should consider expanding the eligibility for an upcoming government rebate to include seniors who are no longer working. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week said the government was responding to concerns about the cost of living by temporarily taking the federal sales tax off certain goods and sending $250 cheques to working Canadians in the spring.

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

High risk offender released: VPD

High risk offender released: VPD
Police in Vancouver are warning the public that a high-risk offender has been released to a halfway house in the city. Police say David Morin was released yesterday after being arrested earlier this week for violating the terms of his release.

High risk offender released: VPD

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Wednesday that he's confident all the premiers will get on board with a unified "Team Canada" approach to deal with Donald Trump's tariff threat. His confidence comes despite signs of early cracks in that unity ahead of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's emergency meeting with the premiers this afternoon. 

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast
The weather office says another 25 cm of snow is expected between this evening and Thursday night. Environment Canada has also issued a snowfall warning for the northern and central Interior region of British Columbia, saying 15 cm of snow is expected. 

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal
A Federal Court judge has dismissed an appeal by a "deeply religious" British Columbia health executive who said he was wrongfully denied employment insurance after being fired three years ago for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Darold Sturgeon was fired as executive director of medical affairs for Interior Health in November 2021 after refusing to get the vaccine based on his Christian beliefs. 

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal