Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals table crime bill to restrict access to bail, impose tougher sentences

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 09:46 AM
  • Liberals table crime bill to restrict access to bail, impose tougher sentences

The Liberal government tabled legislation Thursday morning that would make it harder to get bail for a variety of offences, including vehicle thefts, extortion and breaking and entering.

The bill would impose a reverse onus on bail for certain offences. That would move the burden of proof from the prosecutor to the accused, meaning they would have to justify being granted bail.

The Criminal Code already has a reverse onus for bail in place for many serious offences, including murder.

The legislation says judges would be required to impose weapons bans on people charged with extortion or offences related to organized crime when they do receive bail.

The bill also would allow for consecutive sentences for violent and repeat offenders, so that multiple sentences could not be served at the same time. Crimes subject to consecutive sentences would include vehicle theft, break and enter, extortion and arson.

The Supreme Court has ruled that imposing consecutive life sentences is unconstitutional, but a government official briefing reporters on background said none of the offences eligible for consecutive sentences under the legislation come with that penalty.

The legislation would require that judges consider the number and gravity of outstanding charges facing an accused before deciding whether pretrial detention is necessary.

It also would establish new aggravating factors for sentencing for repeat violent offences, offences against first responders, retail theft and mischief to property.

The bill includes new restrictions on granting conditional sentences, or house arrest, for sexual assault and sex crimes involving a minor.

The legislation proposes changes to the Youth Criminal Justice Act that would allow police to publish identifying information about a person under the age of 18 when there is an imminent danger to public safety.

Police currently are able to publish this kind of information only with a court order. The proposed change is meant to speed up the process of sharing information when there is a public safety risk. 

The bill also would clarify the definition of "violent offence" in the Youth Criminal Justice Act to include any offence where a minor causes bodily harm.

Premiers, opposition parties and police agencies have been calling on the government to impose tougher bail laws in response to an increase in vehicle thefts, extortion, organized retail theft and other violent crimes in recent years.

Officials briefing reporters said that a Charter of Rights statement has been ordered for this legislation to determine whether it could stand up to a court challenge.

Officials said that judges' ability to consider Gladue factors — which examine the effects of racism and poverty on an Indigenous person accused of an offence — will not be affected by this legislation.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims
British Columbia is making disaster financial assistance available to victims of floodwaters that gushed through several communities when an atmospheric river dumped hundreds of millimetres of rain on parts of the province last month. The province says flood-affected residents of Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, the Squamish First Nation and North and West Vancouver are eligible.

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims

Defence Minister Bill Blair "ready to go faster" on spending timeline

Defence Minister Bill Blair
Defence Minister Bill Blair said Monday that he's ready to work with the incoming Donald Trump administration to speed up Canada's timeline to meet its NATO alliance spending targets. Canada committed last year to meet the NATO members' pledge to spend at least two per cent of GDP on national defence and in July Prime Minister Justin Trudeau committed to hitting that target by 2032.

Defence Minister Bill Blair "ready to go faster" on spending timeline

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says further reforms to Canada's immigration and asylum systems will be proposed in the coming weeks. This comes on the heels of a significant cut to the amount of permanent residents being admitted to Canada in two years, and the tightening of rules around temporary worker permits. 

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system

Premiers seek 'urgent' meeting with Trudeau before Trump returns to White House

Premiers seek 'urgent' meeting with Trudeau before Trump returns to White House
Canada's premiers are asking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to hold an urgent first ministers' meeting ahead of the return to office of president-elect Donald Trump. The re-election of the often unpredictable and protectionist former president has spooked a number of countries as they wait to see if he makes good on promises of mass deportation of undocumented residents and across-the-board import tariffs.

Premiers seek 'urgent' meeting with Trudeau before Trump returns to White House

Freeland says the two-month GST holiday is meant to tackle the 'vibecession'

Freeland says the two-month GST holiday is meant to tackle the 'vibecession'
The federal government is hoping a temporary break on GST will address a 'vibecession' that has gripped Canadians, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland said Monday. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced on Thursday that starting Dec. 14 the goods and services tax will be taken off a slew of items for two months to help with the affordability crunch.

Freeland says the two-month GST holiday is meant to tackle the 'vibecession'

First Nation goes to court, accusing B.C. of not consulting over major gold mine

First Nation goes to court, accusing B.C. of not consulting over major gold mine
A First Nation says it wasn't meaningfully consulted before the British Columbia government "effectively greenlit" what has been called the world's largest undeveloped gold mining project.

First Nation goes to court, accusing B.C. of not consulting over major gold mine