Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Startled Rescue Dog Bites Owner, Three Others During Victoria-Area Party

    Startled Rescue Dog Bites Owner, Three Others During Victoria-Area Party
    COLWOOD, B.C. — The fate of a rescue dog is in question after a weekend house party in suburban Victoria at which RCMP say the animal became agitated and bit several people.

    Startled Rescue Dog Bites Owner, Three Others During Victoria-Area Party

    Canada Revenue Agency 'Going After' Refugees: NDP MP Jenny Kwan

    Canada Revenue Agency 'Going After' Refugees: NDP MP Jenny Kwan
    OTTAWA — NDP immigration critic Jenny Kwan is accusing the Canada Revenue Agency of "going after refugees" after two Syrian refugee families in B.C. became the target of audits of their Canada Child Benefit payments.

    Canada Revenue Agency 'Going After' Refugees: NDP MP Jenny Kwan

    Justin Trudeau To Visit Vimy Ridge, Paris For First World War Anniversary Events

    Justin Trudeau To Visit Vimy Ridge, Paris For First World War Anniversary Events
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will join world leaders in France this weekend to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

    Justin Trudeau To Visit Vimy Ridge, Paris For First World War Anniversary Events

    Former Canadian Football League Player Josh Boden Is Accused Of Murder Of Ex-Girlfriend

    Former Canadian Football League Player Josh Boden Is Accused Of Murder Of Ex-Girlfriend
    VANCOUVER — A former wide receiver with the Canadian Football League's B.C. Lions has been charged with second-degree murder more than nine years after a woman's death.

    Former Canadian Football League Player Josh Boden Is Accused Of Murder Of Ex-Girlfriend

    Lengthy Wildfire Evacuation For Telegraph Creek, B.C., To Lift By Nov. 15

    Tahltan Emergency Operations Centre director Feddie Louis says residents of Telegraph Creek will be allowed to return to the village, more than 400 kilometres north of Prince Rupert, beginning Nov. 15.

    Lengthy Wildfire Evacuation For Telegraph Creek, B.C., To Lift By Nov. 15

    One Man Dead, Another Under Arrest After Homicide Sunday In Port Coquitlam, B.C.

    One Man Dead, Another Under Arrest After Homicide Sunday In Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    PORT COQUITLAM, B.C. — One man is dead and another is under arrest following what police describe as an altercation in suburban Vancouver.

    One Man Dead, Another Under Arrest After Homicide Sunday In Port Coquitlam, B.C.