Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lights back on for almost all BC Hydro customers who lost power in strong winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Nov, 2024 10:46 AM
  • Lights back on for almost all BC Hydro customers who lost power in strong winds

British Columbia's Crown utility says crews have restored power to 95 per cent of some 290,000 businesses and homes that were in the dark at some point Monday as strong winds battered coastal areas and parts of the central Interior.

BC Hydro says crews have been working around the clock to replace dozens of spans of power lines as well as power poles knocked down by toppled trees.

Environment Canada had issued now-lifted wind warnings for most of the south and central coast, including Metro Vancouver, where the weather office said gusts of wind were expected to reach speeds of up to 100 kilometres an hour.

A statement from BC Hydro says it expects to restore power throughout Tuesday to most of the remaining customers whose lights remain out.

But the utility says it's possible the outage will continue for "small pockets" in areas with significant damage.

The outage map shows close to 10,000 customers remain without power in the Lower Mainland and on the Sunshine Coast, with about 5,500 on Vancouver Island.

Environment Canada has also lifted winter storm warnings that covered the Coquihalla Highway from Hope to Merritt and Highway 3 from the Paulson summit area to the Kootenay Pass, which saw significant snow overnight.

MORE National ARTICLES

Flag raising at B.C. legislature honours residential school survivors, lost children

Flag raising at B.C. legislature honours residential school survivors, lost children
Fresh fall winds helped mark a flag-raising ceremony today at the British Columbia legislature honouring residential school survivors and remembering children who never came home. The orange and white Survivors' Flag will be flown at the front lawn of the legislature until sundown on Saturday, the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

Flag raising at B.C. legislature honours residential school survivors, lost children

New immigration minister says one-click citizenship oath still worth considering

New immigration minister says one-click citizenship oath still worth considering
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says the controversial idea to allow new Canadians to take their oath of citizenship with the click of a button is still a good option that's worth considering, but there are no immediate plans for implementation.  The government asked for public feedback in February about the idea to allow new Canadians to skip a virtual or in-person ceremony and opt instead to take the oath with the click of a mouse. 

New immigration minister says one-click citizenship oath still worth considering

Toxic drugs leading cause of death in B.C. for those age 10 to 59: coroner

Toxic drugs leading cause of death in B.C. for those age 10 to 59: coroner
British Columbia's coroner says drug toxicity is the leading cause of death in the province for those aged 10 to 59, far larger than homicides, suicides, accidents and natural diseases combined.  The statistic comes as the latest figures are released for August, saying there were 174 toxic-drug deaths last month. 

Toxic drugs leading cause of death in B.C. for those age 10 to 59: coroner

B.C. premier in Ottawa to discuss wildfires, infrastructure, clean energy

B.C. premier in Ottawa to discuss wildfires, infrastructure, clean energy
British Columbia Premier David Eby and six of his cabinet ministers are in Ottawa for two days to meet with federal policymakers on issues including housing, wildfires, and floods. Eby's office says the B.C. delegation will meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and senior federal officials to discuss the clean-energy sector and support for critical infrastructure needs in communities.

B.C. premier in Ottawa to discuss wildfires, infrastructure, clean energy

NDP House leader says Speaker should resign after honouring man who fought for Nazis

NDP House leader says Speaker should resign after honouring man who fought for Nazis
Rota issued a written apology Sunday and repeated it in the House Monday morning. He said he alone was responsible for inviting and recognizing Yaroslav Hunka last Friday, who fought for the First Ukrainian Division during the Second World War.

NDP House leader says Speaker should resign after honouring man who fought for Nazis

Child luring suspect on loose

Child luring suspect on loose
Summerland R-C-M-P say a 10-year-old girl reported on Sept. 20 that a Caucasian male about 40 years of age approached the girl in his red truck while she was walking along Kelly Avenue on her way to Giants Head Elementary. Police say the man asked the girl if she wanted a ride to school, prompting the girl to run away in the opposite direction.  

Child luring suspect on loose