Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2024 02:04 PM
  • LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Plans to use a renovated cruise ship to house more than 600 workers as they build a liquefied natural gas facility near Squamish, B.C., have been voted down by the local council.

The ship arrived in B.C. waters in January after a 40-day journey from Estonia, where it had sheltered Ukrainian refugees, but Woodfibre LNG didn't obtain a permit from the district to operate the so-called "floatel."

Squamish councillors voted three to four against a one-year permit at a meeting on Tuesday that raised concerns about the safety of women and girls, traffic issues, waste management and potential natural hazards.

Woodfibre wanted workers to start living on the ship this spring on the shores of Howe Sound, outside Squamish.

The Woodfibre website shows the B.C. and federal governments have approved the project, which also has an environmental certificate from the Squamish Nation.

Several councillors with the district noted in Tuesday's meeting that the LNG project was not at issue, rather the decision was whether to allow the floating work camp to be used.

Tracey Saxby, the executive director of the advocacy group My Sea to Sky, issued a statement saying Woodfibre knowingly chose to take the risk of bringing the vessel to B.C. waters without approval from the district to anchor it at the site.

"Community members, who are on the front line of this LNG export project, raised concerns about human rights impacts for women and girls, worker safety and well-being, traffic safety, and waste disposal," she says in the statement.

There are "so many unknowns," she says, and the company's application is missing key information the community needs to make an informed decision.

MORE National ARTICLES

Generosity of local businessman, Bobby Pawar, gets Langley Food Bank a bigger space

Generosity of local businessman, Bobby Pawar, gets Langley Food Bank a bigger space
Food bank reps such as Calamunce approached Pawar to buy their building so the Food Bank could expand and meet the needs of many of the less fortunate in our communities. 

Generosity of local businessman, Bobby Pawar, gets Langley Food Bank a bigger space

Youth charged in Surrey stabbing

Youth charged in Surrey stabbing
On August 18th of last year Surrey RCMP responded to an assault in progress at the intersection of 184Street and Fraser Highway and found 45-year-old victim Leroy Billy suffering from stab wounds. Billy was transported to hospital, where he died of his injuries.

Youth charged in Surrey stabbing

Canada must explore links between immigration, housing crunch: Marc Miller

Canada must explore links between immigration, housing crunch: Marc Miller
The housing crisis is a chief topic of conversation at the retreat, which comes as the federal Liberals prepare their agenda for the fall sitting of Parliament. The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. estimates Canada needs about 5.8 million new homes by 2030 to restore housing affordability.

Canada must explore links between immigration, housing crunch: Marc Miller

Air quality advisory lifted for most of Metro Vancouver

Air quality advisory lifted for most of Metro Vancouver
An air quality advisory covering most of the Vancouver area has been lifted. The Metro Vancouver Regional District says a change in weather has reduced the amount of fine particulate matter in the air coming from wildfire smoke in the B-C Interior.

Air quality advisory lifted for most of Metro Vancouver

Structural losses from wildfires in West Kelowna area estimated at fewer than 90

Structural losses from wildfires in West Kelowna area estimated at fewer than 90
Premier David Eby was scheduled to visit the fire-ravaged southern Interior on Tuesday, along with Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma and Forests Minister Bruce Ralston, to get a first-hand look at the devastation caused by the raging wildfires. 

Structural losses from wildfires in West Kelowna area estimated at fewer than 90

Firearms charges against US man

Firearms charges against US man
The Canada Border Services Agency says charges have been laid against an American man after he attempted to bring guns into the country. It says in a statement today that the man was stopped on May 6 by C-B-S-A officers at the Abbotsford border crossing as he attempted to pass through B-C on his way to Alaska.

Firearms charges against US man