Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2024 02:04 PM
  • LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Plans to use a renovated cruise ship to house more than 600 workers as they build a liquefied natural gas facility near Squamish, B.C., have been voted down by the local council.

The ship arrived in B.C. waters in January after a 40-day journey from Estonia, where it had sheltered Ukrainian refugees, but Woodfibre LNG didn't obtain a permit from the district to operate the so-called "floatel."

Squamish councillors voted three to four against a one-year permit at a meeting on Tuesday that raised concerns about the safety of women and girls, traffic issues, waste management and potential natural hazards.

Woodfibre wanted workers to start living on the ship this spring on the shores of Howe Sound, outside Squamish.

The Woodfibre website shows the B.C. and federal governments have approved the project, which also has an environmental certificate from the Squamish Nation.

Several councillors with the district noted in Tuesday's meeting that the LNG project was not at issue, rather the decision was whether to allow the floating work camp to be used.

Tracey Saxby, the executive director of the advocacy group My Sea to Sky, issued a statement saying Woodfibre knowingly chose to take the risk of bringing the vessel to B.C. waters without approval from the district to anchor it at the site.

"Community members, who are on the front line of this LNG export project, raised concerns about human rights impacts for women and girls, worker safety and well-being, traffic safety, and waste disposal," she says in the statement.

There are "so many unknowns," she says, and the company's application is missing key information the community needs to make an informed decision.

MORE National ARTICLES

Busy long weekend for YVR airport

Busy long weekend for YVR airport
The Vancouver International Airport says it’s gearing up for a busy long weekend by launching a new tool to help travellers get to their gate on time. A new Q-R code called Y-V-R TimeLine allows travellers to check if they are at risk of missing their plane by entering their flight number.  

Busy long weekend for YVR airport

Coquitlam SkyTrain station has vending machine

Coquitlam SkyTrain station has vending machine
The machine is stocked with packaged sushi rolls from nearby restaurant Sushi Mori. TransLink says the vending machine is one of nine being installed starting this summer at transit stations around the region.

Coquitlam SkyTrain station has vending machine

2 suspicious fires in Stanley Park

2 suspicious fires in Stanley Park
A fire reported near Second Beach Tuesday morning was the second suspicious fire in recent days. So far, no suspects have been identified and no arrests have been made.

2 suspicious fires in Stanley Park

Expect busy long weekend: BC Ferries

Expect busy long weekend: BC Ferries
More than 580-thousand passengers and 210-thousand vehicles are expected to travel with BC Ferries between today and Tuesday. BC Ferries says it has pulled out all the stops to ensure smoother sailing this weekend.

Expect busy long weekend: BC Ferries

Uber driver killed in Vancouver crash identified as Dilpreet Singh

Uber driver killed in Vancouver crash identified as Dilpreet Singh
A 26-year-old Uber driver who had been killed on Monday in an early morning collision in Vancouver involving three vehicles has been identified as Dilpreet Singh.  A statement from Vancouver police says a red Cadillac carrying a 17-year-old driver and three teenage passengers slammed into a taxi just before 2 a.m. on Monday at Main Street and 12th Avenue and the taxi then broadsided the Uber vehicle.

Uber driver killed in Vancouver crash identified as Dilpreet Singh

SFU's athletics director leaves university months after football controversy

SFU's athletics director leaves university months after football controversy
The departure of Theresa Hanson, the university's director of athletics and recreation, comes four months after controversy erupted over the school's elimination of its varsity football program followed by the hiring of a lawyer to investigate claims made by one of its sports teams.  

SFU's athletics director leaves university months after football controversy