Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Nov, 2023 04:39 PM
  • Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract

Nearly 300 Rogers Communications workers have voted strongly in favour of a new contract, ending a company lockout that began two weeks ago.

The United Steelworkers union Local 1944, Unit 60, says in a statement that its members voted 96 per cent in favour of ratifying the tentative agreement reached last Friday.

The Rogers technicians, who build, maintain and repair internet, phone and television infrastructure and services in Metro Vancouver, were locked out Nov. 6, after serving strike notice and announcing plans for rotating strikes.

The union statement says the new five-year contract contains a 14.25-per-cent wage increase, retroactive pay, a $1,000 signing bonus and language that offers protection against automation and layoffs.

Technicians are due to return to the job on Wednesday.

A statement from Rogers Communications says the company is pleased the agreement has been ratified, saying the pact will "grow jobs" and "meet the needs of customers."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Armed break and enter in Victoria

Armed break and enter in Victoria
Police in Victoria say two people have been arrested after reports of an armed break and enter at a residential building in the city. Two people were arrested and taken into custody three hours later, just before 11 A-M.

Armed break and enter in Victoria

Premier David Eby makes a statement on 109th anniversary of the Komagata Maru

Premier David Eby makes a statement on 109th anniversary of the Komagata Maru
“When they should have been welcomed, they were instead met by hostility and prejudice. Canadian immigration officials refused to let them leave the boat. The passengers were confined to the ship for two months, during which supplies of food and even water were restricted, making conditions intolerable". 

Premier David Eby makes a statement on 109th anniversary of the Komagata Maru

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat
The Peace River Regional District has cancelled orders issued last week affecting properties threatened by the Stoddart Creek fire northeast of Fort St. John. The River Forecast Centre has posted flood watches for much of east-central B.C., from the Peace River area to the Kootenay, Boundary and Okanagan areas.

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches
The board says Sunset Beach, Spanish Banks West and Second Beach were all without lifeguards on Sunday and Monday. It says the shortage also resulted in limited drop-in spots at city-owned pools at New Brighton and Second Beach.   

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches

RCMP to reflect on painful history as Canada's police service on 150th anniversary

RCMP to reflect on painful history as Canada's police service on 150th anniversary
The RCMP has planned events Tuesday and throughout the year that the national police force says are meant to demonstrate pride, but also humility and efforts at reconciliation.

RCMP to reflect on painful history as Canada's police service on 150th anniversary

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'
A 37-year-old man was shot in the city's Burke Mountain neighbourhood while sitting at an outside table in a "heavily populated shopping plaza" on David Avenue and Coast Meridian Road.

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'