Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Nov, 2023 04:39 PM
  • Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract

Nearly 300 Rogers Communications workers have voted strongly in favour of a new contract, ending a company lockout that began two weeks ago.

The United Steelworkers union Local 1944, Unit 60, says in a statement that its members voted 96 per cent in favour of ratifying the tentative agreement reached last Friday.

The Rogers technicians, who build, maintain and repair internet, phone and television infrastructure and services in Metro Vancouver, were locked out Nov. 6, after serving strike notice and announcing plans for rotating strikes.

The union statement says the new five-year contract contains a 14.25-per-cent wage increase, retroactive pay, a $1,000 signing bonus and language that offers protection against automation and layoffs.

Technicians are due to return to the job on Wednesday.

A statement from Rogers Communications says the company is pleased the agreement has been ratified, saying the pact will "grow jobs" and "meet the needs of customers."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Prohibited driver hit four-year-old girl on bike in Langford, B.C., RCMP say

Prohibited driver hit four-year-old girl on bike in Langford, B.C., RCMP say
The 37-year-old driver remained at the scene. Police say they learned he had been prohibited from driving because of being unlicensed and impaired. Mounties say in a statement they obtained a breath sample and while the man did have alcohol in his system, it was under the legal limit. 

Prohibited driver hit four-year-old girl on bike in Langford, B.C., RCMP say

Sinclair Group Forest Products to halt operations temporarily

Sinclair Group Forest Products to halt operations temporarily
Lakeland Mills in Prince George is set to be curtailed for the month of July, while Nechako Lumber Co. in Vanderhoof will be curtailed from May 14th to July 29th and Apollo Forest Products in Fort St. James will be curtailed in June.

Sinclair Group Forest Products to halt operations temporarily

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing
Vancouver police arrested 25-year-old Mohammed Cortes Torres on Sunday. Police say Cortes Torres was a Surrey resident at the time of the homicide but more recently stayed on Vancouver Island.

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home
Corporal Bryan Mulrooney says evidence found at the home points to a sophisticated illegal cigarette trafficking operation. The Mounties are recommending charges against one man. 

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant
The government highlighted the future-ready plan in its budget earlier this year, saying it is a response to one of the biggest challenges facing B.C. businesses, which is access to more skilled workers. A 10-year labour market outlook for B.C. has forecasted there will be more than a million job openings in the province. 

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers
Families minister Karina Gould says the job action did not create a significant backlog, as the federal government received only about 20 per cent of the typical volume of passport applications during the strike.

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers