Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to begin COVID-19 booster shots

B.C. to begin COVID-19 booster shots
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has said the latest data show a third dose is most effective about six months after the second. Those eligible will be getting their extra jabs along with influenza shots.

B.C. to begin COVID-19 booster shots

B.C. capital facing COVID-19 shelter shortage

B.C. capital facing COVID-19 shelter shortage
David Eby said Friday he had hoped that once tent encampments were dismantled, the Crown agency BC Housing and provincial staff would be able to find more permanent solutions for the homeless, but a surge in COVID-19 cases hasn't made that possible.

B.C. capital facing COVID-19 shelter shortage

714 COVID19 cases for Friday

714 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 6,317 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 178,980 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 328 individuals are in hospital and 138 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

714 COVID19 cases for Friday

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP
Metrotown station has been closed down by Transit Police and Burnaby RCMP are on scene there are reports of a shooting along with unconfirmed reports of a pipe bomb. Burnaby RCMP has taken to Twitter to with various updates regarding the incident.

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP

New Westminster man convicted in court of child luring and child pornography

New Westminster man convicted in court of child luring and child pornography
This investigation spanned international borders and the New Westminster Police Department extends its appreciation to all police agencies who provided assistance, namely the British Columbia Integrated Child Exploitation Unit and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

New Westminster man convicted in court of child luring and child pornography

Trudeau faces backlash over Tofino trip

Trudeau faces backlash over Tofino trip
The Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC) said it is shocked that Trudeau “ducked out entirely” from a national day set aside to reflect on the legacy of residential schools.

Trudeau faces backlash over Tofino trip