Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

Senators call for post-pandemic economic rethink

Senators call for post-pandemic economic rethink
Sen. Peter Harder, one of the 12 senators who worked on the report, says the group believes the country shouldn't wait until after the pandemic to rethink how to improve Canada's economic performance.

Senators call for post-pandemic economic rethink

B.C. Liberal leadership hopefuls debate today

B.C. Liberal leadership hopefuls debate today
The Liberal members will elect a new leader Feb. 5 to replace former leader Andrew Wilkinson and interim leader Shirley Bond. The debate will be streamed on the Liberal party's website and Facebook page.

B.C. Liberal leadership hopefuls debate today

Feeding wildlife to be banned in Vancouver parks

Feeding wildlife to be banned in Vancouver parks
Vancouver park board commissioners have voted unanimously to amend park bylaws to prohibit the feeding of any wild animal, from pigeons and geese to squirrels, raccoons and coyotes.

Feeding wildlife to be banned in Vancouver parks

Vancouver schools to require masks for K-3 grades

Vancouver schools to require masks for K-3 grades
The Vancouver School Board becomes the first in the province to mandate masks for primary students. The approved motion leaves room for parental input, if concerns are submitted in writing to the principal of their child's school.    

Vancouver schools to require masks for K-3 grades

Robbery takes place at Sephora in Guildford Mall, Surrey RCMP looking for female suspect

Robbery takes place at Sephora in Guildford Mall, Surrey RCMP looking for female suspect
The suspect is described as a Caucasian female, approximately 30-35 year old, slim build, 5’7 tall with long brown hair. She was last seen wearing red baseball hat (backward), red t-shirt with gold 23 logo, a grey long sleeve shirt underneath and baggy black pants.

Robbery takes place at Sephora in Guildford Mall, Surrey RCMP looking for female suspect

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty
The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty