Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

Meng's extradition case dropped in B.C.

Meng's extradition case dropped in B.C.
The Huawei executive emerged from the court without her ankle bracelet and read a statement thanking the judge, the Crown lawyers and the Canadian people for their tolerance, while apologizing for the inconvenience.

Meng's extradition case dropped in B.C.

743 COVID19 cases for Friday

743 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 5,979 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 174,281 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 319 individuals are in hospital and 149 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

743 COVID19 cases for Friday

VPD investigates disturbing Downtown Eastside attack

VPD investigates disturbing Downtown Eastside attack
The victim, a 22-year-old Downtown Eastside resident, was standing in front of the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre at Columbia Street and East Cordova when he felt a sharp pain in his leg and realized he’d been shot. With an arrow lodged just below his kneecap, the victim walked a block to Insite, where staff gave first aid and called 9-1-1.

VPD investigates disturbing Downtown Eastside attack

Federal deficit hit $48.5 billion in July

Federal deficit hit $48.5 billion in July
The Finance Department's regular fiscal monitor says the budgetary deficit between April and July was just under $48.5 billion, down from the almost $148.6 billion recorded over the same months in 2020 when COVID-19 first struck.

Federal deficit hit $48.5 billion in July

Vote count could spill into weekend

Vote count could spill into weekend
Officials started counting mail ballots on Friday morning in Nanaimo-Ladysmith, a three-way battle between the NDP, Tories and Greens, according to Elections Canada. Votes tallied on election night from polling stations suggest the NDP have a narrow lead in the B.C. riding.

Vote count could spill into weekend

Some health triage has begun in Alberta: doctor

Some health triage has begun in Alberta: doctor
Parks said that in recent days some critically ill COVID-19 patients who should have been on ventilators were not getting them. That's on top of previously announced mass cancellations of surgeries, along with patient transfers, as doctors balance medical need with available space, he said.

Some health triage has begun in Alberta: doctor