Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

Justin Trudeau's Liberals win second minority

Justin Trudeau's Liberals win second minority
Late Monday, Justin Trudeau's Liberals were leading or elected in 157 seats — exactly the same number they won in 2019, 13 short of the 170 needed for a majority in the House of Commons.

Justin Trudeau's Liberals win second minority

Special prosecutor named after mayor's complaint

Special prosecutor named after mayor's complaint
The BC Prosecution Service says Juk concluded a special prosecutor was needed in light of allegations made by Mayor Doug McCallum amid ongoing public discussions about the RCMP in Surrey being replaced by a municipal police force.

Special prosecutor named after mayor's complaint

New travel rules ignore Canada-U.S. border ban

New travel rules ignore Canada-U.S. border ban
Air travel to the U.S. from Canada has never been restricted, and it's not yet clear whether the new vaccination rules will be imposed on Canadian passengers when they take effect. The rules at the Canada-U.S. border have also allowed trade and essential workers to move between the two countries unfettered.

New travel rules ignore Canada-U.S. border ban

Elections Canada reports disruptions at some polls

Elections Canada reports disruptions at some polls
While the majority of polling stations opened on time and without incident, Elections Canada spokeswoman Diane Benson says issues have been reported with several sites in Ontario and Western Canada, resulting in some stations opening late or having to be relocated.

Elections Canada reports disruptions at some polls

1,692 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1,692 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There are 5,608 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 171,769 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 307 individuals are in hospital and 156 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

1,692 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Five Arrested After Chief Del Manak Assaulted At Chantel Moore Memorial

Five Arrested After Chief Del Manak Assaulted At Chantel Moore Memorial
The woman assaulted Chief Manak after a blanketing ceremony by pouring a liquid on him. She then moved away from the area. Chief Manak, who was attending the memorial at the invitation of Chantel Moore’s mother, was not physically harmed. The assault was captured on video.    

Five Arrested After Chief Del Manak Assaulted At Chantel Moore Memorial