Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jul, 2024 03:45 PM
  • Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

A man is facing charges after a three-year-old boy was killed in Edmonton when a pickup truck hit him along with his mother and sister.

The crash happened in the southwest neighbourhood of Allard on June 27.

Police say a Ford F150 turned left at an intersection, striking a woman and her two young children as they were heading across a marked crosswalk.

Police say the boy died at the scene.

They say his seven-year-old sister and 39-year-old mother had non-life-threatening injuries.

A 30-year-old man has been charged with careless driving and three counts of failing to yield to a pedestrian.

MORE National ARTICLES

Friend, community members remember 'humble,' 'genuine' Mountie killed in shooting

Friend, community members remember 'humble,' 'genuine' Mountie killed in shooting
Ridge Meadows RCMP Const. Rick O'Brien was shot and killed while executing a warrant in Coquitlam, B.C., on Friday.  Nicholas Bellemare, 25, has been charged with first degree murder and attempted murder with a firearm in the shooting incident that killed O'Brien and injured two other officers.

Friend, community members remember 'humble,' 'genuine' Mountie killed in shooting

Flag raising at B.C. legislature honours residential school survivors, lost children

Flag raising at B.C. legislature honours residential school survivors, lost children
Fresh fall winds helped mark a flag-raising ceremony today at the British Columbia legislature honouring residential school survivors and remembering children who never came home. The orange and white Survivors' Flag will be flown at the front lawn of the legislature until sundown on Saturday, the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

Flag raising at B.C. legislature honours residential school survivors, lost children

New immigration minister says one-click citizenship oath still worth considering

New immigration minister says one-click citizenship oath still worth considering
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says the controversial idea to allow new Canadians to take their oath of citizenship with the click of a button is still a good option that's worth considering, but there are no immediate plans for implementation.  The government asked for public feedback in February about the idea to allow new Canadians to skip a virtual or in-person ceremony and opt instead to take the oath with the click of a mouse. 

New immigration minister says one-click citizenship oath still worth considering

Toxic drugs leading cause of death in B.C. for those age 10 to 59: coroner

Toxic drugs leading cause of death in B.C. for those age 10 to 59: coroner
British Columbia's coroner says drug toxicity is the leading cause of death in the province for those aged 10 to 59, far larger than homicides, suicides, accidents and natural diseases combined.  The statistic comes as the latest figures are released for August, saying there were 174 toxic-drug deaths last month. 

Toxic drugs leading cause of death in B.C. for those age 10 to 59: coroner

B.C. premier in Ottawa to discuss wildfires, infrastructure, clean energy

B.C. premier in Ottawa to discuss wildfires, infrastructure, clean energy
British Columbia Premier David Eby and six of his cabinet ministers are in Ottawa for two days to meet with federal policymakers on issues including housing, wildfires, and floods. Eby's office says the B.C. delegation will meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and senior federal officials to discuss the clean-energy sector and support for critical infrastructure needs in communities.

B.C. premier in Ottawa to discuss wildfires, infrastructure, clean energy

NDP House leader says Speaker should resign after honouring man who fought for Nazis

NDP House leader says Speaker should resign after honouring man who fought for Nazis
Rota issued a written apology Sunday and repeated it in the House Monday morning. He said he alone was responsible for inviting and recognizing Yaroslav Hunka last Friday, who fought for the First Ukrainian Division during the Second World War.

NDP House leader says Speaker should resign after honouring man who fought for Nazis