Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Justice minister rules out withdrawing legal submission on notwithstanding clause

Justice minister rules out withdrawing legal submission on notwithstanding clause
Fraser says it would be "unimaginable" for a federal government to steer clear of a case affecting Charter rights that will have lasting impacts and suggests the premiers' argument is "untenable."

Justice minister rules out withdrawing legal submission on notwithstanding clause

Carney pitches Keystone XL restart in exchange for progress on aluminum, steel

Carney pitches Keystone XL restart in exchange for progress on aluminum, steel
Prime Minister Mark Carney raised the prospect of reviving the Keystone XL pipeline project with U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday as part of a larger pitch on linking energy co-operation and support for Canada's steel and aluminum sectors.

Carney pitches Keystone XL restart in exchange for progress on aluminum, steel

Carney government flags plan to retool much-maligned border security bill

Carney government flags plan to retool much-maligned border security bill
Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree has given notice to the House of Commons that he will introduce fresh legislation on borders and immigration as early as this week.

Carney government flags plan to retool much-maligned border security bill

Students commute for less with U-Pass BC

Students commute for less with U-Pass BC
Post-secondary students who use transit in the Metro Vancouver region will continue to have access to discounted transit fares thanks to the Province's ongoing commitment to the U-Pass BC program.

Students commute for less with U-Pass BC

Convoy leaders Lich, Barber given conditional sentences

Convoy leaders Lich, Barber given conditional sentences
Justice Heather Perkins-McVey handed down the sentences in an Ottawa courtroom this afternoon.

Convoy leaders Lich, Barber given conditional sentences

Two men arrested in Chilliwack, B.C., after alleged drug lab uncovered

Two men arrested in Chilliwack, B.C., after alleged drug lab uncovered
Chilliwack RCMP say they executed search warrants at two homes and two storage lockers, and the alleged drug lab at a property on South Sumas Road. 

Two men arrested in Chilliwack, B.C., after alleged drug lab uncovered