Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 11:10 AM
  • Man charged with fraud in bank card scam

Burnaby R-C-M-P say a 26-year-old man is facing 16 fraud-related charges following an investigation into an alleged bank card scam.

The Mounties had issued a public warning in February 2024 after two seniors in Burnaby were scammed out of several thousand dollars each.

They say the victims had received phone calls from someone claiming to be from a bank and saying their bank cards had been compromised and required replacement, and a suspect then visited the seniors at home to collect the cards.

Police say the accused is facing 16 charges, including six counts of identity theft and six counts of fraud under five-thousand-dollars.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rotors collided in helicopter crash

Rotors collided in helicopter crash
Canada's Transportation Safety Board says the fatal crash of a British Columbia logging helicopter was caused when the chopper's rotor system broke up mid-flight. A final report from the board says that on Oct. 4, 2021, the pilot of the Kaman K-1200 dropped off a load of logs into Jervis Inlet on B.C.'s south coast, turned around to pick up another load, then crashed into the water and sank.

Rotors collided in helicopter crash

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter
Global Affairs Canada says it is aware of the death of a Canadian citizen in Russia. But the department won't confirm reports the Canadian was among four foreign fighters who had crossed into Russia to fight for Ukraine.

Global Affairs won't confirm reports Canadian dead in Russia was foreign fighter

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she hopes countries from around the world will support a plan to bring back Ukrainian children who have been deported to Russia since the war in Ukraine began nearly three years ago. Joly urged more than 60 delegations attending a ministerial conference in Montreal on Wednesday to make a “strong pledge” to ensure children and other Ukrainian civilians are returned home. 

Foreign affairs minister seeks support for plan to return deported Ukrainian children

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign
Longtime Liberal operative Andrew Bevan was named the new national campaign director two weeks ago and made his first presentation to the full caucus during the weekly meeting. The next election must be held by Oct. 20, 2025, but it could come much sooner. The Conservatives and Bloc Québécois have pledged to try to bring down the minority government this fall.

Liberals look to move past leadership drama with eye on next campaign

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference
Earlier this month, Trudeau told a public inquiry that he has been given the names of past and present Conservative parliamentarians and candidates who are linked to foreign interference. Trudeau said members from other parties, including the Liberals, have also been flagged.

PM says he's trying to get Poilievre names of Tories linked to foreign interference

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman
A British Columbia judge has granted an injunction stopping a woman's medically assisted death, the day before it was scheduled to take place in Vancouver.  The injunction granted on Saturday to the woman's common-law partner prevents Dr. Ellen Wiebe or any other medical professional from helping end the life of the 53-year-old Alberta woman within 30 days.

B.C. judge halts the medically assisted death of Alberta woman