Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man given five months in U.S. jail for smuggling people across border from B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Apr, 2025 11:42 AM
  • Man given five months in U.S. jail for smuggling people across border from B.C.

The U.S. District Attorney’s office in Seattle says a 27-year-old man has been sentenced to five months in jail for helping smuggle eight Indian nationals across the border between British Columbia and Washington state.

It says Rajat Rajat, an Indian citizen who lives in California, was indicted alongside three other people.

The office says the group was connected to at least two attempts at smuggling in late 2023 that involved eight Indian citizens.

The office says in a statement that U.S. District Judge Tana Lin noted that Rajat played a "critical role in the smugglingconspiracy, arranging travel and paying co-conspirators."

He was handed a five-month sentence, and two other defendants were given four- and six-month jail terms, while a woman, who is in the country on student visa, is scheduled to go to trial in January.

The release says Lin also ordered Rajat to serve three years of supervised release after jail, but she noted that he will likely be deported following his term.

Acting U.S. Attorney Teal Luthy Miller called Rajat a "mid-level manager of this smuggling scheme," who helped non-citizens cross the border and even fronting some travel costs for them.

In asking for a jail term, the prosecution wrote to the court that it was a co-ordinated, transnational scheme that had operated repeatedly over an extended time. 

"Mr. Rajat’s role in the organization was not one that can be considered minor. Rather, he was essential to its function," the statement said. 

"Mr. Rajat actively promoted the scheme by purchasing flights for his 'customers' and communicating directly with them, advising non-citizens on how and when to clandestinely enter the United States," it said. 

The statement says that in November 2023, surveillance video caught multiple people jumping a fence, just east of Peace Arch Park between Surrey, B.C., and Blaine, Wash. 

Border Patrol agents saw five people run to a white minivan, which was then stopped by officers.

The statement says five India nationals were found inside the van. 

The investigation revealed Rajat asked for payments from the non-citizens in return for being smuggled into the United States, the statement says.

It says the next month, Rajat met three citizens of India inPeace Arch Park and directed them to cross through the park and get into a vehicle parked near the border

That car was also stopped, and the office says the non-citizens "indicated they had promised to make monetary payments to be smuggled into the U.S." 

It says Rajat was then picked up near the border.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike
A Quebec woman whose father died in British Columbia last month says her family has been unable to properly grieve because the Canada Post strike has left his remains in limbo. Emily Walstrom said her father's cremated remains were put into the mail before Canada Post employees walked off the job on Nov. 15. 

Family says B.C. man's cremated remains in limbo due to Canada Post strike

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Robson Square ice rink open for winter
Vancouver's Robson Square ice rink is open for the winter. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says the rink, which draws more than 100-thousand skaters annually, will run seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. until Feb. 28, 2025. 

Robson Square ice rink open for winter

Man charged in break and enter

Man charged in break and enter
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been charged after an alleged five-day break and enter spree in the city a year ago. They say that between November 8th and 12th, 2023, officers were called to nine break-and-enters in apartment buildings in the city centre.

Man charged in break and enter

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention