Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man serving time for second degree murder escapes from B.C. prison

Darpan News Desk Canadian Press, 25 Aug, 2014 10:48 AM
    A 41-year-old convict serving time for the slaying of a Vancouver man is now on the run after escaping from a British Columbia prison.
     
    The Correctional Service of Canada says Norman Riel was reported missing from the Mission Minimum Security Institution in the Fraser Valley at about 4 p.m. Sunday.
     
    RCMP in Mission say Riel was last seen getting into a white Suburban waiting outside the prison, about 70 kilometres east of Vancouver.
     
    He was serving an indeterminate sentence for the second degree murder of Patrick Pugh.
     
    The victim was shot in the head during a home invasion at his east Vancouver penthouse in September 1994.
     
    Riel was arrested following an undercover operation in Las Vegas in early 1995 and was convicted of the murder three years later.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    VIA Train slams into car killing two including a one-year-old

    VIA Train slams into car killing two including a one-year-old
    A man along with a one-year-old boy was killed Monday morning after their car collided with VIA Rail train in St. Liboire, located 90 kilometres east of Montreal.

    VIA Train slams into car killing two including a one-year-old

    Gangster Manjit Adiwal jailed for four months for Chilliwack assault

    Gangster Manjit Adiwal jailed for four months for Chilliwack assault
    Manjit Adiwal (Mike), 35, reportedly a high profile gangster in Vancouver city in Canada, along with his associate Preetpal Sangha, 29, punched and threatened Gurpreet Sangha during a dispute at a lumber mill in Canada's Chilliwack city in May 2011, 

    Gangster Manjit Adiwal jailed for four months for Chilliwack assault

    Ottawa couple charged with sexually assaulting two teens

    Ottawa couple charged with sexually assaulting two teens
    An Ottawa couple has been charged with forcible confinement and sexually assaulting two teenage girls in a west Ottawa home over the Victoria Day long weekend.

    Ottawa couple charged with sexually assaulting two teens

    Ontario Boy suffering from malnutrition after being held indoors for 2 years

    Ontario Boy suffering from malnutrition after being held indoors for 2 years
    A 10-year-old boy in London, Ontario, who had been confined by his guardians in a squalid bedroom for up to two years, was recently rescued by police authorities. 

    Ontario Boy suffering from malnutrition after being held indoors for 2 years

    BC Teachers rotating strikes to continue next week

    BC Teachers rotating strikes to continue next week
    British Columbia teachers will continue with their rotating strikes after unions dispute with the government maintains. 

    BC Teachers rotating strikes to continue next week

    Canada to deport Rwandan genocide suspect

    Canada to deport Rwandan genocide suspect
    The federal court of Canada has decided to deport one of the key Rwandan genocide suspect Jean Berchmans Habinshuti after he failed to gain asylum status in Canada, a source said here Wednesday.

    Canada to deport Rwandan genocide suspect