Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 12:47 PM
  • Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

A man and woman are accused of lighting their Calgary home on fire, triggering an explosion that injured several people last fall.

Calgary police and firefighters were called in early October to a residential neighbourhood shortly after the explosion happened.

Four townhomes were severely damaged in the explosion and six people were injured.

Calgary police say a 40-year-old man who was earlier charged with arson with a disregard for human life now also faces one count of arson causing damage to the property of others, as well as possession of incendiary material.

A 43-year-old woman who lived with the man is now facing identical charges.

Both are to appear in court in February.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lineup released for the Invictus Games

Lineup released for the Invictus Games
Vancouver Whistler Games Corporation has announced the lineup for the closing ceremonies of the 2025 Invictus Games. The closing ceremony, which will take place at Rogers Arena on February 16th, will include Nashville country singer Jelly Roll, Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies, and Americana music duo The War And Treaty.

Lineup released for the Invictus Games

Avian flu at 2 farms in Abbotsford

Avian flu at 2 farms in Abbotsford
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it has detected the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza at two more commercial poultry farms in Abbotsford.  The agency currently lists 43 premises in B-C where the flu has been detected in bird flocks.

Avian flu at 2 farms in Abbotsford

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds
A test for Canada's emergency alert system is set to take place just as British Columbia cleans up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds. The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the next test set to take place today at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time.

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order
The union representing port supervisors in British Columbia is formally challenging the legal and constitutional authority of the federal labour minister to order them back to work. In a legal document dated Tuesday, International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it's questioning whether the order issued by Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon last week violates the right to collective bargaining and the right to strike.

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees
A significant increase in the number of refugees and asylum seekers in Canada has prompted some cities to start building temporary housing for new arrivals. The city of Ottawa is working to establish what's known as a sprung structure that serves as both a temporary shelter and a centre to provide settlement services such as language training and employment assistance. 

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border
The trial of two men accused of human smuggling is getting a look at messages the prosecution says prove the pair conspired to sneak people across the Canada-United States border. Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel have pleaded not guilty to charges of organizing several illegal crossings of Indian nationals from Manitoba to Minnesota in late 2021 and early 2022.

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border