Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 12:47 PM
  • Man, woman facing arson charges after Calgary home explosion that injured six people

A man and woman are accused of lighting their Calgary home on fire, triggering an explosion that injured several people last fall.

Calgary police and firefighters were called in early October to a residential neighbourhood shortly after the explosion happened.

Four townhomes were severely damaged in the explosion and six people were injured.

Calgary police say a 40-year-old man who was earlier charged with arson with a disregard for human life now also faces one count of arson causing damage to the property of others, as well as possession of incendiary material.

A 43-year-old woman who lived with the man is now facing identical charges.

Both are to appear in court in February.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has no intention of stepping down as the leader of the Liberal party by next week. A letter signed by two dozen Liberal MPs asking Trudeau to step down was presented to the prime minister Wednesday at a tense caucus meeting in Ottawa.

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives
Leader Jagmeet Singh says his party will use its next opposition day to force the House of Commons to debate and vote on a motion that calls for urgent action to improve abortion access. Speaking in Montreal, Singh also called out the governing Liberals, saying they haven't done enough to improve abortion access in Canada. 

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report
Seniors 65 years and older are more likely to have access to a family doctor or nurse practitioner than younger adults between 18 and 34, and access to primary care is highest in Ontario and lowest in Nunavut, the CIHI report released Thursday says.  

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies
A man has been sentenced to more than two years in prison as well as receiving a lifetime firearms ban after pleading guilty to multiple robberies in the Lower Mainland. Surrey Mounties say Jaden Kahnapace pleaded guilty earlier this year to three robberies in 2021 that all happened within the span of two weeks.

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton
Mounties in Penticton say a search warrant has led to the seizure of several guns as well as cash and suspected illicit drugs. R-C-M-P say it also resulted in the arrests of four people linked to the home in the one-thousand-block of Government Street.

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot
The federal government is slashing immigration targets as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau admits the government did not get the balance right following the COVID-19 pandemic. The government had targeted bringing in 500,000 new permanent residents in both 2025 and 2026.

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot