Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 03:59 PM
  • Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

The Manitoba government is planning to open a trade office in Washington, D.C., in the new year to deal with threatened United States tariffs and promote investment opportunities in provincial sectors such as mining and aerospace.

The move would bring Manitoba in line with Ontario, Alberta and some other provinces that have full-time trade representatives in the U.S. capital.

Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday he saw the value of trade offices on a trip to Washington earlier this year with business leaders.

"You know what they asked us? 'Manitoba, where have you been the past few years?'" Kinew said in his annual state of the province speech to the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce.

The government has not yet picked a person to lead the office, and they may not necessarily be a Manitoban, Kinew said.

Kinew told the business crowd he takes seriously the threat of widespread tariffs on Canadian goods from president-elect Donald Trump. The premier said the Manitoba trade office would need someone who can talk to Republicans.

"We need folks who are, dare I say it, a little Trumpy," he said, moving his hands back and forth slowly, accordion-style, as Trump has been known to do. The gesture was greeted with laughter from the audience.

Loren Remillard, president of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, said business leaders noticed on the recent trip to Washington that provinces with a physical presence in the city have an advantage.

"You can't expect your friends and allies to always know your position, understand and be receptive, if you're not there physically," Remillard said.

Kinew also said Manitoba would offer financial incentives and an easier regulatory regime — details are to be determined — in order to attract U.S. investment in critical mineral development and other projects.

"If you invest in standing up new mines in Manitoba, we're going to design a provincial economic development strategy to ensure that we have the right incentives on the financial side, but also … ensuring that our regulatory regime is one that can move at the speed of business."

When pressed for details by reporters, Kinew said tax cuts are one possibility, as is a focus on promoting Manitoba's low hydroelectricity rates.

"That's a good financial incentive that we can put on the table."

The trade office was being considered before Trump was elected, Kinew added. It was recommended by the government's business advisory council, which was created last year.

Kinew also appointed former Manitoba premier and Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Gary Doer as a trade adviser shortly after winning last year's provincial election.

MORE National ARTICLES

Singh threatens to end political pact

Singh threatens to end political pact
If the government doesn't make good on pharmacare legislation by March, that would kill the Liberal-NDP political pact, New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh said Wednesday. But he made it clear that any collapse in the deal, which is meant to hold off a federal election until next year, would be the Liberals' fault.

Singh threatens to end political pact

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids
B.C.'s government has ordered that flavoured nicotine pouches only be sold from behind pharmacy counters in the province in an effort to prevent youth from becoming addicted. The order signed by Health Minister Adrian Dix means buyers of the pouches, which contain up to four milligrams of nicotine, will have to consult a pharmacist.

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby
Premier David Eby says social media companies can't be let "off the hook" after two B.C. teens died by suicide shortly after falling victim to online sextortion scams. Eby's comments came one day after Surrey RCMP announced a man in Nigeria has been arrested and charged in one of those cases following a lengthy international investigation.

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board
High-risk B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley, who went on the run for 10 days in November, will still be allowed overnight community leave with the approval of his parole officer, after the parole board decided not to impose new restrictions. Premier David Eby says he "can't fathom" the ruling and it isn't acceptable that Hopley, who abducted a three-year-old boy in 2011, has been "released again with the same conditions."  

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians
Gagan Ajit Singh, Anmoldeep Singh, Hashmeet Kaur, Iymanjot Kaur, and Arundeep Thind  have been charged with  mischief to property, threats, and firearms-related offences.  

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash
Two trucking firms say the B.C. government wrongly concluded they were "one operation" after an overpass crash last December, and want a court to let them both back on the province's road.  B.C.-based Chohan Freight Forwarders Ltd. and Alberta-based Chohan Group Ltd. say in B.C. Supreme Court petitions that they're separate legal entities but have a family connection. 

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash