Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 03:59 PM
  • Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

The Manitoba government is planning to open a trade office in Washington, D.C., in the new year to deal with threatened United States tariffs and promote investment opportunities in provincial sectors such as mining and aerospace.

The move would bring Manitoba in line with Ontario, Alberta and some other provinces that have full-time trade representatives in the U.S. capital.

Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday he saw the value of trade offices on a trip to Washington earlier this year with business leaders.

"You know what they asked us? 'Manitoba, where have you been the past few years?'" Kinew said in his annual state of the province speech to the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce.

The government has not yet picked a person to lead the office, and they may not necessarily be a Manitoban, Kinew said.

Kinew told the business crowd he takes seriously the threat of widespread tariffs on Canadian goods from president-elect Donald Trump. The premier said the Manitoba trade office would need someone who can talk to Republicans.

"We need folks who are, dare I say it, a little Trumpy," he said, moving his hands back and forth slowly, accordion-style, as Trump has been known to do. The gesture was greeted with laughter from the audience.

Loren Remillard, president of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, said business leaders noticed on the recent trip to Washington that provinces with a physical presence in the city have an advantage.

"You can't expect your friends and allies to always know your position, understand and be receptive, if you're not there physically," Remillard said.

Kinew also said Manitoba would offer financial incentives and an easier regulatory regime — details are to be determined — in order to attract U.S. investment in critical mineral development and other projects.

"If you invest in standing up new mines in Manitoba, we're going to design a provincial economic development strategy to ensure that we have the right incentives on the financial side, but also … ensuring that our regulatory regime is one that can move at the speed of business."

When pressed for details by reporters, Kinew said tax cuts are one possibility, as is a focus on promoting Manitoba's low hydroelectricity rates.

"That's a good financial incentive that we can put on the table."

The trade office was being considered before Trump was elected, Kinew added. It was recommended by the government's business advisory council, which was created last year.

Kinew also appointed former Manitoba premier and Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Gary Doer as a trade adviser shortly after winning last year's provincial election.

MORE National ARTICLES

Environment Canada issues multiple warnings as B.C. braces for weekend heat

Environment Canada issues multiple warnings as B.C. braces for weekend heat
The six warnings span Vancouver Island, where they will be in effect from Friday until early next week, and the North Coast including Kitimat and Terrace, where the warnings will be in place from Saturday until Tuesday night.

Environment Canada issues multiple warnings as B.C. braces for weekend heat

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes
British Columbia's seniors advocate is calling for the enforcement of tenancy laws to protect residents of retirement homes who he says face illegal rent increases and evictions. Dan Levitt says in a new report that some retirement homes claim the Residential Tenancy Act does not apply to their residents, or to mandatory fees for services including meals and housekeeping.

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract
The union representing Canada's border workers says members have voted 91 per cent in favour of a new collective agreement. More than 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency workers were planning job action in June but the strike was averted when a tentative agreement was reached with the federal government.

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30
Huberman is the longest serving President and CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade, having served for 18 years – unprecedented in the chamber of commerce/board of trade industry. During her 31 years with the organization, having served in a variety of roles, she has built the organization up from a struggling entity into one of the largest organizations of its kind in Canada.

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election
Three provincial New Democrat ministers have announced they won't seek re-election in British Columbia's fall vote. Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming were all first elected in 2005 and have served five terms in the legislature, but say they will not stand on Oct. 19.

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog
The parliamentary budget officer estimates that staffing up the new regulators in the Liberals' Online Harms Act will cost around $200 million over five years.  The federal government wants to establish a Digital Safety Commission to regulate social-media companies and force them to limit harmful content online. 

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog