Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 03:59 PM
  • Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

The Manitoba government is planning to open a trade office in Washington, D.C., in the new year to deal with threatened United States tariffs and promote investment opportunities in provincial sectors such as mining and aerospace.

The move would bring Manitoba in line with Ontario, Alberta and some other provinces that have full-time trade representatives in the U.S. capital.

Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday he saw the value of trade offices on a trip to Washington earlier this year with business leaders.

"You know what they asked us? 'Manitoba, where have you been the past few years?'" Kinew said in his annual state of the province speech to the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce.

The government has not yet picked a person to lead the office, and they may not necessarily be a Manitoban, Kinew said.

Kinew told the business crowd he takes seriously the threat of widespread tariffs on Canadian goods from president-elect Donald Trump. The premier said the Manitoba trade office would need someone who can talk to Republicans.

"We need folks who are, dare I say it, a little Trumpy," he said, moving his hands back and forth slowly, accordion-style, as Trump has been known to do. The gesture was greeted with laughter from the audience.

Loren Remillard, president of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, said business leaders noticed on the recent trip to Washington that provinces with a physical presence in the city have an advantage.

"You can't expect your friends and allies to always know your position, understand and be receptive, if you're not there physically," Remillard said.

Kinew also said Manitoba would offer financial incentives and an easier regulatory regime — details are to be determined — in order to attract U.S. investment in critical mineral development and other projects.

"If you invest in standing up new mines in Manitoba, we're going to design a provincial economic development strategy to ensure that we have the right incentives on the financial side, but also … ensuring that our regulatory regime is one that can move at the speed of business."

When pressed for details by reporters, Kinew said tax cuts are one possibility, as is a focus on promoting Manitoba's low hydroelectricity rates.

"That's a good financial incentive that we can put on the table."

The trade office was being considered before Trump was elected, Kinew added. It was recommended by the government's business advisory council, which was created last year.

Kinew also appointed former Manitoba premier and Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Gary Doer as a trade adviser shortly after winning last year's provincial election.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus
Mounties in Penticton are looking for witnesses after they say a 93-year-old woman was pushed in front of a moving city bus. Police received a report around 11 a.m. on Wednesday that a woman pushing a cart full of belongings "forcefully pushed" the elderly woman into the path of the bus as it left a stop near Calgary Avenue and Main Street.

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control
The wildfire that forced 4,700 people to leave their homes in Fort Nelson, B.C., is now listed as under control. The BC Wildfire Service says in a social media statement that the 123-square-kilometre fire in northeastern B.C. is not expected to grow beyond its current boundary. 

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control

RCMP, B.C. Securities Commission deliver warnings to 10 suspected 'money mules'

RCMP, B.C. Securities Commission deliver warnings to 10 suspected 'money mules'
Police and the British Columbia Securities Commission say they have delivered warnings to 10 suspected "money mules" in an effort to fight investment fraud originating overseas and targeting people in the province. A joint statement issued by the commission and RCMP says investigators have hand-delivered warning letters to people in Metro Vancouver who were suspected of transferring funds on behalf of criminals.

RCMP, B.C. Securities Commission deliver warnings to 10 suspected 'money mules'

Seaplane collides with boat, crashes into Vancouver's Coal Harbour

Seaplane collides with boat, crashes into Vancouver's Coal Harbour
A seaplane collided with a pleasure boat on Vancouver's downtown Coal Harbour waterfront Saturday, injuring a number of passengers on both craft. The crash happened just before 1 p.m. in the waters near Canada Place, Vancouver Police spokeswoman Const. Tania Visintin said in a statement.

Seaplane collides with boat, crashes into Vancouver's Coal Harbour

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties
Federal opposition parties say a public inquiry into foreign interference must address findings that some MPs "wittingly" participated in meddling.  The House of Commons is set to vote on a Bloc Québécois motion that says the mandate of the inquiry should be expanded.

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break
Calgarians stepped up over the weekend to reduce their water use after a major water main break last week. Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Monday the city used about 30 per cent less water than it did before the break happened.

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break