Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 03:59 PM
  • Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

The Manitoba government is planning to open a trade office in Washington, D.C., in the new year to deal with threatened United States tariffs and promote investment opportunities in provincial sectors such as mining and aerospace.

The move would bring Manitoba in line with Ontario, Alberta and some other provinces that have full-time trade representatives in the U.S. capital.

Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday he saw the value of trade offices on a trip to Washington earlier this year with business leaders.

"You know what they asked us? 'Manitoba, where have you been the past few years?'" Kinew said in his annual state of the province speech to the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce.

The government has not yet picked a person to lead the office, and they may not necessarily be a Manitoban, Kinew said.

Kinew told the business crowd he takes seriously the threat of widespread tariffs on Canadian goods from president-elect Donald Trump. The premier said the Manitoba trade office would need someone who can talk to Republicans.

"We need folks who are, dare I say it, a little Trumpy," he said, moving his hands back and forth slowly, accordion-style, as Trump has been known to do. The gesture was greeted with laughter from the audience.

Loren Remillard, president of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, said business leaders noticed on the recent trip to Washington that provinces with a physical presence in the city have an advantage.

"You can't expect your friends and allies to always know your position, understand and be receptive, if you're not there physically," Remillard said.

Kinew also said Manitoba would offer financial incentives and an easier regulatory regime — details are to be determined — in order to attract U.S. investment in critical mineral development and other projects.

"If you invest in standing up new mines in Manitoba, we're going to design a provincial economic development strategy to ensure that we have the right incentives on the financial side, but also … ensuring that our regulatory regime is one that can move at the speed of business."

When pressed for details by reporters, Kinew said tax cuts are one possibility, as is a focus on promoting Manitoba's low hydroelectricity rates.

"That's a good financial incentive that we can put on the table."

The trade office was being considered before Trump was elected, Kinew added. It was recommended by the government's business advisory council, which was created last year.

Kinew also appointed former Manitoba premier and Canadian ambassador to the U.S. Gary Doer as a trade adviser shortly after winning last year's provincial election.

MORE National ARTICLES

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash
A 26-year-old Indian national, hoping to get permanent residency in Canada, died in a single-vehicle crash in the country's New Brunswick province. Harwinder Singh, a resident of Mohali in Punjab, died on the spot in the December 26 crash on Highway 2 at Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska that left two others with non-life threatening injuries, the Global News reported this week.

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver
Jane Stillwell got ejected from her wheelchair and suffered significant injuries when driver Gurdeep Singh Sohi made an "abrupt and hard brake" to avoid collision with another car in 2018. The car ahead of Sohi, employed with Richmond Cabs Ltd, had braked to avoid hitting a raccoon. Stillwell will also get C$171,470 for her future care and C$10,423 in special damages, making the total $406,893, the British Columbia Supreme Court said in a judgment issued on December 27, 2023.

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada
Jagtar Singh Sidhu and Harbhajan Kaur, both in their 50s, were shot more than 20 times just before midnight on November 20 at their rental property along the Caledon-Brampton border. While Sidhu died on the spot, Harbhajan Kaur succumbed to injuries in the hospital where she was rushed to along with their daughter who was shot 13 times and continues to battle for her life.

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada

B.C. wants unified truck safety system after spate of overpass crashes reveals gaps

B.C. wants unified truck safety system after spate of overpass crashes reveals gaps
British Columbia's transport minister has written to his federal counterpart asking for the closure of road safety gaps he says allow some trucking companies to avoid consequences while operating unsafely across Canada. Rob Fleming's letter on Monday to Pablo Rodriguez comes after a series of incidents involving commercial trucks or their cargo slamming into highway overpasses.  

B.C. wants unified truck safety system after spate of overpass crashes reveals gaps

North Vancouver man in custody after reports of erratic behaviour involving a weapon

North Vancouver man in custody after reports of erratic behaviour involving a weapon
Police in North Vancouver say a man is in custody after someone reported him acting erratically and holding a weapon in the city's central Lonsdale neighbourhood Friday morning. North Vancouver R-C-M-P say the report drew a heavy police response to the area and shut down part of the neighbourhood as an emergency response team was called in to deal with him. 

North Vancouver man in custody after reports of erratic behaviour involving a weapon

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., over weekend dies of his injuries

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., over weekend dies of his injuries
A man injured in the latest shooting in the Metro Vancouver suburb of Coquitlam has died. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team joined the case after police say the 21-year-old victim shot on Saturday died from his injuries. 

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., over weekend dies of his injuries