Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jun, 2025 03:07 PM
  • Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Some wildfire evacuees staying at a shelter in northern Manitoba may be moved elsewhere as more communities return home and the government closes temporary evacuation centres.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said roughly 114 people have been staying at the shelter in Thompson for the past three weeks due to a shortage of hotel spaces.

"Folks have been there a really long time, and that was never the intention," Naylor told a wildfire briefing Thursday.

"We have worked really hard, but because we can't find rooms in the area, we are looking at moving people to a different location in Manitoba, and that's going to be sorted out over the next probably 24 to 48 hours."

As more communities return home, the province is looking to decommission congregate shelters that were set up to accommodate the more than 22,000 people displaced during the latest set of wildfires.

While most shelters in Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie will close as space has opened up in hotel rooms, the shelter at the Leila Soccer Complex is to stay open in the event of future evacuations.

Manitoba has 21 active wildfires, one-third of them out-of-control.

Fourteen communities remain evacuated, including the city of Flin Flon, home to 5,000 people.

Officials said there are many considerations when determining whether a community is safe to return, such as the presence of medical staff and law enforcement, working hydro and cleaned schools.

Kristin Hayward, with the province's wildfire service, said crews have made steady progress on the 3,700-square-kilometre blaze near Flin Flon, but weather continues to hinder efforts.

Long-term forecasts suggest the province is expected to see prolonged periods of warmer-than-average temperatures, with a potential for lower-than-normal precipitation.

Manitoba also is heading into a season that typically sees a lot of thunderstorms and lightning.

"Things could get worse from here. I won't sugarcoat it, but hopefully they don't," said Hayward.

Further west in Saskatchewan, more than 10,000 people were forced out of their homes in recent weeks due to wildfires, but many have since been allowed to return.

The town of Creighton near the Manitoba boundary said on social media officials are working to restore businesses before its roughly 1,200 residents are allowed to go back.

In nearby Denare Beach, where 218 primary residences burned down, the village said on social media it's looking to find available lodgings for those who lost their homes.

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency reported 18 active wildfires, including four deemed out of control.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Deal

MORE National ARTICLES

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy
The Manitoba government is planning to open a trade office in Washington, D.C., in the new year to deal with threatened United States tariffs and promote investment opportunities in provincial sectors such as mining and aerospace. The move would bring Manitoba in line with Ontario, Alberta and some other provinces that have full-time trade representatives in the U.S. capital.

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

'Sleeping with the enemy': Mistrial in B.C. sex assault over Crown dating paralegal

'Sleeping with the enemy': Mistrial in B.C. sex assault over Crown dating paralegal
The B.C. Supreme Court has ordered a new trial for a man convicted of sexual assault after he learned his defence lawyer's paralegal was dating the Crown prosecutor during his trial. Justice Veronica Jackson ruled last week in Courtenay, B.C., that Cameron Gagne should get a new trial because his lawyer, Eric Chesterley, and prosecutor Nicholas Grabe failed to tell the court about the relationship. 

'Sleeping with the enemy': Mistrial in B.C. sex assault over Crown dating paralegal

B.C. woman on the lam in $60,000 Alberta meat scam arrested in Ontario

B.C. woman on the lam in $60,000 Alberta meat scam arrested in Ontario
A B.C. woman charged in connection with a 60-thousand-dollar meat scam last year has been arrested in Ontario. RCMP say Krysta-Lyn Williams of Penticton, was arrested in Picton, Ontario, last week with the assistance of Ontario Provincial Police.

B.C. woman on the lam in $60,000 Alberta meat scam arrested in Ontario

Fatal crash on Trans Canada Highway

Fatal crash on Trans Canada Highway
Two people are dead and a third is in critical condition after a single-vehicle crash on the Trans Canada Highway in British Columbia. The RCMP in Ashcroft, west of Kamloops, say they were called to the scene Sunday at around 10:15 p.m.

Fatal crash on Trans Canada Highway

Fog advisory lifts for Vancouver area, but near-zero visibility could return

Fog advisory lifts for Vancouver area, but near-zero visibility could return
A fog advisory that covered much of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley has been lifted by Environment Canada.  The thick blanket of fog that left near-zero visibility in some areas was created by a ridge of high pressure over parts of southern B.C.

Fog advisory lifts for Vancouver area, but near-zero visibility could return

Taylor Swift fans flock to BC Place, days before Eras Tour lands in Vancouver

Taylor Swift fans flock to BC Place, days before Eras Tour lands in Vancouver
Security fencing is going up around BC Place stadium in preparation for the final days of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour this weekend, while dozens of Swifties gather near by to feel the vibe and "breathe the same air as Taylor Swift." Staff wearing security jackets are busy off-loading fencing and installing it around the stadium for the Swift shows from Dec. 6 to 8. 

Taylor Swift fans flock to BC Place, days before Eras Tour lands in Vancouver