Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jun, 2025 03:07 PM
  • Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Some wildfire evacuees staying at a shelter in northern Manitoba may be moved elsewhere as more communities return home and the government closes temporary evacuation centres.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said roughly 114 people have been staying at the shelter in Thompson for the past three weeks due to a shortage of hotel spaces.

"Folks have been there a really long time, and that was never the intention," Naylor told a wildfire briefing Thursday.

"We have worked really hard, but because we can't find rooms in the area, we are looking at moving people to a different location in Manitoba, and that's going to be sorted out over the next probably 24 to 48 hours."

As more communities return home, the province is looking to decommission congregate shelters that were set up to accommodate the more than 22,000 people displaced during the latest set of wildfires.

While most shelters in Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie will close as space has opened up in hotel rooms, the shelter at the Leila Soccer Complex is to stay open in the event of future evacuations.

Manitoba has 21 active wildfires, one-third of them out-of-control.

Fourteen communities remain evacuated, including the city of Flin Flon, home to 5,000 people.

Officials said there are many considerations when determining whether a community is safe to return, such as the presence of medical staff and law enforcement, working hydro and cleaned schools.

Kristin Hayward, with the province's wildfire service, said crews have made steady progress on the 3,700-square-kilometre blaze near Flin Flon, but weather continues to hinder efforts.

Long-term forecasts suggest the province is expected to see prolonged periods of warmer-than-average temperatures, with a potential for lower-than-normal precipitation.

Manitoba also is heading into a season that typically sees a lot of thunderstorms and lightning.

"Things could get worse from here. I won't sugarcoat it, but hopefully they don't," said Hayward.

Further west in Saskatchewan, more than 10,000 people were forced out of their homes in recent weeks due to wildfires, but many have since been allowed to return.

The town of Creighton near the Manitoba boundary said on social media officials are working to restore businesses before its roughly 1,200 residents are allowed to go back.

In nearby Denare Beach, where 218 primary residences burned down, the village said on social media it's looking to find available lodgings for those who lost their homes.

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency reported 18 active wildfires, including four deemed out of control.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Deal

MORE National ARTICLES

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits
Some Liberal MPs say they think their government should consider expanding the eligibility for an upcoming government rebate to include seniors who are no longer working. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week said the government was responding to concerns about the cost of living by temporarily taking the federal sales tax off certain goods and sending $250 cheques to working Canadians in the spring.

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

High risk offender released: VPD

High risk offender released: VPD
Police in Vancouver are warning the public that a high-risk offender has been released to a halfway house in the city. Police say David Morin was released yesterday after being arrested earlier this week for violating the terms of his release.

High risk offender released: VPD

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Wednesday that he's confident all the premiers will get on board with a unified "Team Canada" approach to deal with Donald Trump's tariff threat. His confidence comes despite signs of early cracks in that unity ahead of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's emergency meeting with the premiers this afternoon. 

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast
The weather office says another 25 cm of snow is expected between this evening and Thursday night. Environment Canada has also issued a snowfall warning for the northern and central Interior region of British Columbia, saying 15 cm of snow is expected. 

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal
A Federal Court judge has dismissed an appeal by a "deeply religious" British Columbia health executive who said he was wrongfully denied employment insurance after being fired three years ago for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Darold Sturgeon was fired as executive director of medical affairs for Interior Health in November 2021 after refusing to get the vaccine based on his Christian beliefs. 

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal