Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jun, 2025 03:07 PM
  • Manitoba to close wildfire evacuation centres as some communities return home

Some wildfire evacuees staying at a shelter in northern Manitoba may be moved elsewhere as more communities return home and the government closes temporary evacuation centres.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said roughly 114 people have been staying at the shelter in Thompson for the past three weeks due to a shortage of hotel spaces.

"Folks have been there a really long time, and that was never the intention," Naylor told a wildfire briefing Thursday.

"We have worked really hard, but because we can't find rooms in the area, we are looking at moving people to a different location in Manitoba, and that's going to be sorted out over the next probably 24 to 48 hours."

As more communities return home, the province is looking to decommission congregate shelters that were set up to accommodate the more than 22,000 people displaced during the latest set of wildfires.

While most shelters in Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie will close as space has opened up in hotel rooms, the shelter at the Leila Soccer Complex is to stay open in the event of future evacuations.

Manitoba has 21 active wildfires, one-third of them out-of-control.

Fourteen communities remain evacuated, including the city of Flin Flon, home to 5,000 people.

Officials said there are many considerations when determining whether a community is safe to return, such as the presence of medical staff and law enforcement, working hydro and cleaned schools.

Kristin Hayward, with the province's wildfire service, said crews have made steady progress on the 3,700-square-kilometre blaze near Flin Flon, but weather continues to hinder efforts.

Long-term forecasts suggest the province is expected to see prolonged periods of warmer-than-average temperatures, with a potential for lower-than-normal precipitation.

Manitoba also is heading into a season that typically sees a lot of thunderstorms and lightning.

"Things could get worse from here. I won't sugarcoat it, but hopefully they don't," said Hayward.

Further west in Saskatchewan, more than 10,000 people were forced out of their homes in recent weeks due to wildfires, but many have since been allowed to return.

The town of Creighton near the Manitoba boundary said on social media officials are working to restore businesses before its roughly 1,200 residents are allowed to go back.

In nearby Denare Beach, where 218 primary residences burned down, the village said on social media it's looking to find available lodgings for those who lost their homes.

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency reported 18 active wildfires, including four deemed out of control.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Deal

MORE National ARTICLES

The hallways look the same and where are the bathrooms, say B.C.'s newly elected MLAs

The hallways look the same and where are the bathrooms, say B.C.'s newly elected MLAs
A record number of first-time provincial politicians are about to descend on British Columbia's legislature, looking to make positive contributions for the province and trying to find the washrooms in the 127-year-old building. Fifty-seven new members from three parties, New Democrats, B.C. Conservatives and Greens, were elected to serve first terms in the 93-seat legislature in B.C. last month. 

The hallways look the same and where are the bathrooms, say B.C.'s newly elected MLAs

Poilievre asks premiers to axe their sales taxes on new homes worth under $1 million

Poilievre asks premiers to axe their sales taxes on new homes worth under $1 million
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has written to the provinces' premiers, asking them to eliminate their sales taxes on new homes that are under $1 million. It follows Poilievre's own pledge last week that if he becomes prime minister, he will axe the federal sales tax on new homes sold for under $1 million.

Poilievre asks premiers to axe their sales taxes on new homes worth under $1 million

Trucking, construction expect 'labour crisis' with new temporary worker rules

Trucking, construction expect 'labour crisis' with new temporary worker rules
Dominique Lamothe said the trucking firm she works for will be in trouble once new rules for high-wage temporary foreign workers take effect on Friday. Groupe Nadeau, a Quebec-based trucking company, has a fleet of around 200 trucks and 1,400 trailers serviced by 70 full-time heavy mechanics. Human resources director Lamothe said half those mechanics are temporary foreign workers.

Trucking, construction expect 'labour crisis' with new temporary worker rules

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout
The BC Maritime Employers Association has released the details of its final offer to the union representing more than 700 foremen ahead of a looming lockout on Monday. The offer, which is dated Wednesday and addressed to International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 President Frank Morena, was released publicly on Saturday. 

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes
Environment Canada says strong winds and heavy rain are expected overnight and into Monday for British Columbia's south coast. The weather agency says lower amounts are expected elsewhere across the region. It says strong southeast winds are also expected overnight before becoming "very strong west to northwest winds" on Monday.

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

String of robberies in Surrey

String of robberies in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they're investigating a series of residential robberies believed to be linked to similar break-and-enter incidents in other areas of the Lower Mainland. Surrey RCMP say the suspects work in a team of three, targeting large, single-family homes that are unoccupied at the time, often between 5 and 9 p-m.

String of robberies in Surrey